Hiatal Hernia

xCrystalk99
on 9/14/12 7:02 pm - Manassas, VA
RNY on 08/19/10 with
 Hello everyone, so I'm two years out and posted in panic a couple weeks back about pain/etc and it turns out, as confirmed by today's endoscopy, that I, in fact, have a hiatal hernia. Has anyone else had one of these years after GBP? What was your experience?
Carla G.
on 9/16/12 1:17 am - WY
RNY on 08/03/12
i haven't one post op yet, altho i'm only 6 weeks out, but i did have a hiatal hernia that had to be repaired at the same time as my GBS...i also have had an umbilical hernia, so i am prone to getting hernias...the only good thing from me developing another hernia is that my surgeon can go in and repair it and also do the skin removal and my insurance will cover it as it's not just the skin removal..so secretly i'm praying that closer to the end of my weight loss i want another hernia so i can get a free skin removal where my insurance pays   i had a LOT of problems eating and swallowing when i had my hiatal hernia and it was really painful, so hopefully you can get urs repaired soon.

Carla                    
doctorleelee
on 9/25/12 1:41 pm - Oakland, CA
VSG on 09/13/12
 I had a hiatal hernia repair during my VSG, 2 weeks ago. Lots of issues in recovery because of it.

*pain, sometimes severe, at site of hernia repair
     *i can't bend over without pain that stays with me for hours
     *i couldn't walk to the kitchen without a walker or bending over in pain, for 10 days
     *for 3 months after surgery, there are serious restrictions on types of food (that's no problem because of the VSG recovery), and on activity. So I won't be able to exercise until after Xmas.

On the other hand, and this is a BIG One... Before the hernia surgery, my stomach had intruded past my esophagus and was pressing against my lungs (I didn't know that), and I couldn't catch a breath, was on oxygen all the time, 24/7.

So am I glad I had the hernia surgery? I am convinced it saved my life, and I am grateful.