What is your nutrition plan?????

Worrygirl
on 9/30/12 3:36 am - IL
Every doc/nut suggests very different plans.  Although I plan on and have been following mine to a tee, mine seems a little extreme....Here's my plan, care to share yours for comparion??

**NO DRINKING for 90 MIN AFTER YOUR FIRST BITE OF FOOD!!!

Pre-op (2 wks before surgery)
2 protein shakes
dinner: 4 oz lean meat w/ 1/2 cup veggies
snack: sf jello/popsicle or chix broth

2 wks following surgery:
Puree protein diet (only JUCIY protein allowed soft meats, chesse, cottage cheese, eggs)

then next 2 weeks:
Soft, moist protein (only protein allowed soft meats, chesse, cottage cheese, eggs)
*no processed meats

1 month out:
ALL meat protein: meat, cheese, fish, beans
can have decaf coffee now :)

CAN ADD 1//2 C VEGGIE TO 1 MEAL WHEN 2 MONTHS OUT
CAN ADD 1/2 C FRUIT TO 1 MEAL WHEN 4 MONTHS OUT
CAN ADD YOUGURTS, DAIRY, AT LEAST 6 MONTHS OUT + 1 CARBONATED DRINK
NO CARBS UNTIL @ 75% OF GOAL WEIGHT

60-80g of protien, no mention of fat g or carbs.  Snacks: sf jello/popsicles or chix broth but if I am low on my protein for the day I have another protein snack,,,,OMG I am so sick of meat/cheese already......

I'm only at 5 weeks, what a wouldn't give for some fresh fruits and veggies right now.......

vitamins:
bariatric chewable vitatim, klor con (nasty salty powder that is mixed in water for 4 months UGH!!!-truly the worst part of this experience), acid reducer, and Co-Q 10 (I credit this little pill for ALL my energy and feeling great during pre-op and post op). 

Doc did NOT prescribe me any calcium citrate, B-12, or D (told me he's a medicaton minimalist) but I think he's waiting for my 3 month labs to see if there are any defiancies......
TamaraL
on 9/30/12 3:44 am
i definetly recomend getting the calcium citrate and b 12 early out.  I started vitamins within days after surgergy

poet_kelly
on 9/30/12 4:10 am - OH
Calcium citrate, B12 and D3 are not medications.  They are essential vitamins and minerals.  I think your doc is giving you dangerous advice.  the ASMBS says all RNY patients need 1500-2000 mg cacium citrate daily and B12.  You probably already have a vitamin D deficiency.  Keep in mind that the lack of calcium will not show up in blood tests until you have severe osteoporosis - it will show up first on a bone density scan, but by then it will be too late to save your bones.

Not drinking for 90 minutes after eating would not work for me.  That would make nine hours a day that I could not drink anything and I would have a hard time getting enough fluids in.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 9/30/12 6:42 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
"Not drinking for 90 minutes after eating would not work for me.  That would make nine hours a day that I could not drink anything and I would have a hard time getting enough fluids in."

We are only "allowed" to eat 3 times a day per our doctor's plan so it's only 4.5 hours a day we can't drink. I don't have an issue getting the water in on his plan at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

poet_kelly
on 9/30/12 8:49 am - OH
On September 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM Pacific Time, MrsLitch wrote:
"Not drinking for 90 minutes after eating would not work for me.  That would make nine hours a day that I could not drink anything and I would have a hard time getting enough fluids in."

We are only "allowed" to eat 3 times a day per our doctor's plan so it's only 4.5 hours a day we can't drink. I don't have an issue getting the water in on his plan at all.
If it works for you, that's fine.  Eating only three times a day wouldn't work for me, either.  I would not get enough calories or protein, and my blood sugar would drop dangerously low.  I need to eat at least six times a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 9/30/12 9:41 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I have a feeling I will end up like you are because I struggle to get my calories over 500 on his plan. I was just pointing out that for "his plan" it allows more time to drink. I last 60 mins these days unless I'm busy working and can't grab a water. The 90 min vs 60 min hasn't affected my hunger at this point when it does I will revisit it.

At my last visit he okayed me adding a 4th "meal/snack" as long as it was a shake or protein because I can't get my calories in.

My blood sugar has actually been much better I did have low once since surgery I know because I've had hypoglycemia half my life which in the last year turned into reactive hypoglycemia. All but the one afternoon when I didn't get lunch in due to work schedule it seems to have straightened out. If I see issues arise again I will go to a schedule similar to yours.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/30/12 4:22 am - OH
I came home rom the hospital on soft, bland foods (eggs, oatmeal, cream of wheat, soft fish, all cheeses, etc.).  I was told no drinking 30 minutes after eating.  I was also told to have three meals and two protein snacks every day. 

Ii don't understand the 90 minute things, since even dense food empties out of your pouch in about 30 minutes.  I don't see how it would be posse to get all your fluids in waiting so long.

Also the "no carbs" thing... Well, that contradicts the food plan you were given since ALL dairy, fruits, and veggies have carbs, so clearly you ARE having carbs very early out, and I don't understand the "no carbs until at 75% of goal weight".  Were you given a list of "forbidden" carbs?

Calcium deficiency will not show up in your blood at 3 months out. Your body will pull the calcium it needs from your bones.  You need to aev a baseline bone scan done so you know how strong your bones are now and have something to compare it to down the road.  The ASMBS says you should start taking vitamins almost immediately after surgery, so I would ask your surgeon why he disagrees with them.  We have a LOT of trouble with it D levels (since not only is the area of intestine where it would normally be absorbed bypassed, but also because it is fat soluble and we malabsorb fats.  I think your doctor is endangering your health.  Once our Vit D levels are low it takes massive doses to bring it back up again.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Niki L.
on 9/30/12 5:13 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
+going that long withou****er is way to long i was told 20 to 30 mins after meals

LJ1972
on 9/30/12 9:51 am - FL
My absolute minimum wait is 1hr. Usually more.  I get in over 100oz a day.  Time changes things.....

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

BugdocMom
on 9/30/12 5:55 am - CA
I couldnot have gone that long without drinking after a meal in the first 9 months or so. But I wait between 60 and 90 minutes to drink now. It helps control my appetite.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 528 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 456 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 333 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 325 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 50 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?