So long Lopressor!

wmamey
on 10/10/12 1:48 am
RNY on 06/18/12
I will not it miss it one bit! I had a strange complication after I came home from the hospital in June (3days after RNY.) I was dehydrated and had bilateral atelectasis (lung issues) from the gas pressing upward, not being able to deep breathe, etc. Well, I ended up in rapid atrial fibrillation (a-fib) heart rate = 193! I converted back to a regular rhythm once the paramedics gave me IV Cardizem - before I even made it to the ambulance. Anyway, my cardiologist put me on Lopressor for 3 months as a precaution.
Follow up with cardio yesterday - no more Lopressor!!! Also he said it would probably never happen again and I don't need to see him anymore!! He was also quite impressed with my weight loss and activity. I went from a couch potato to walking 5 miles a day 7 days a week! Totally feeling the best I have in years!!

Friendlybyte
on 10/10/12 2:01 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12
WTG girl!!!  What a great feeling not having to take a medication anymore.... And kuddos on the walking!!! 

jujubee4224
on 10/10/12 2:10 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I wish I could stop my lopressor. I was on it for high blood pressure plus another med. I stopped the second medicine the morning of my RNY. Now 83 pounds later, I'm still on the lopressor. My pcp doesn't want to stop it because of the beneficial cardiac effects of it. Yes, I know this, but when my sitting bp is 90/50 and my resting heart rate is 56, I am feeling the effects of the medicine. I have to be careful when getting up cause my bp drops further and I get close to blacking out. How much lower does he want it to get? I have been breaking it in half to minimize the effects but it hasn't helped much. I exercise several hours a day 5-7 days a week. There is no doubt I am getting healthier, I just wish I could lose some of these pre-op meds. So happy you are able to get off the Lopressor. Maybe my day will be here soon.

wmamey
on 10/10/12 8:33 am
RNY on 06/18/12
On October 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM Pacific Time, jujubee4224 wrote:
I wish I could stop my lopressor. I was on it for high blood pressure plus another med. I stopped the second medicine the morning of my RNY. Now 83 pounds later, I'm still on the lopressor. My pcp doesn't want to stop it because of the beneficial cardiac effects of it. Yes, I know this, but when my sitting bp is 90/50 and my resting heart rate is 56, I am feeling the effects of the medicine. I have to be careful when getting up cause my bp drops further and I get close to blacking out. How much lower does he want it to get? I have been breaking it in half to minimize the effects but it hasn't helped much. I exercise several hours a day 5-7 days a week. There is no doubt I am getting healthier, I just wish I could lose some of these pre-op meds. So happy you are able to get off the Lopressor. Maybe my day will be here soon.
I know what you mean! My heart rate was in the 40s, and my bp was as low as yours. I was getting short of breath when my heart rate was that low. I really don't have a heart history so I didn't need to stay on it. I did cut the dose in half, I was on 25 mg twice a day. I went to once a day and then stopped, with all the walking I do now my heart remains around 60.
The day may come for you!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/12 3:27 am
How great is that!  I am always thrilled for what this surgery has done for many of us.  I know they say never say never, but I truly never want to go back to my life before surgery.  I am off all my diabetic meds, so I understand how you must feel.  Keep it up!  Jane
wmamey
on 10/10/12 8:42 am
RNY on 06/18/12
It must be a great feeling being off diabetic medication!! I know that is a terrible disease. I didn't take anything but a thyroid pill before surgery so to end up with all the vitamins and then medication on top of that I really hated it! I too feel healthy and I love it and also don't want to go back.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 273 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics