catalina07 · 3 replies · 28 views
Dehydrated
csd319 · 1 replies · 34 views
Conquered the wet suit (pic)
cspotrun · 2 replies · 56 views

1000 calorie dieting at 4 years

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/12 7:05 pm - WA
I am 4 years out and need to lose ALOT of gained back weight. Started a 1000 calorie diet plan and been on it for a week now. I do not seem to be missing anything, I am not starving or feeling deprived. It seems I am eating all the time, 1/4 cup here, 1/4c there. At the end of the day I get my 1000 calories in and feel fine. I get extra calories to eat from the excersize but I try not to eat those. Anyway my question is is it ok to do a 1000 calorie diet at 4 years out? I know it is not too much I am wondering if it is too low, will I damage my metabolism even more, that kind of thing. I posted a poll a bit ago asking what the vets calorie counts were and didn't find any 1000 ones. But if you wanted to lose some weight would you dip down to 1000?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/10/12 7:29 pm - OH
I think it would be tough for me to get all my protein in for an extended period of time with only 1000 calories -- and that is always my focus, even when trying to drop a few pounds -- but it can be done if you choose your foods wisely.  No matter how far out you are, you want to be sure you lose fat not muscle mass.  Both times that I tried physician-supervised diets, they called for 1200 calories, but I don't know if a lower number would be a problem in terms of metabolism or not.  It really depends on what your resting metabolic rate is and how long you anticipate being on so few calories.  The body is able to rebound after short periods of restriction, but I have never read anything specific about how many calories for how long results in permanent lowering... just that it sometimes happens as a result of the extreme caloric restriction during the first months after WLS.

At 5 years out, I don't eat too much more than the 1200 calories normally just to maintain my weight with my messed up metabolism.  Personally, I would not go any lower than 1000, but that is just my opinion based on anecdotal "evidence"... knowing that many times people have trouble losing at only 800-900 calories but start losing again if they increase the calories a bit.

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

datorres
on 10/10/12 7:29 pm
I'm 4 years out from RNY too and I often feel confused about the same topic. I also want to lose about 10 pounds. I hope you find the answer your looking for.
Laura in Texas
on 10/10/12 7:39 pm, edited 10/10/12 7:40 pm - Cypress, TX
Looks like we had had surgery the same week. Personally, I would not eat less than 1200 to lose. I do worry about damaging my metabolism. I typically eat 1700-2000/day to maintain and cut back to 1200-1500 when I need to lose a few.

H.a.l.a. B.
on 10/11/12 7:20 am
RNY on 05/14/08 with
for me it is not only the calories but what type of food I eat that makes a difference.  Even low calories but with lots of carbs - I may gain weight... same calories but mostly proteins and fat and non--starchy veggies - and I will be losing.

H.a.l.a RNY 5/14/2008    

Need to bitch?  or Rave?  To find new R&R - 3.0 group..- send a PM -  to get included...

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell..."

"So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...." 

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/12 10:16 am
RNY on 05/07/07 with
I'm 5 years out and I eat 1200-1500 calories and get 100g-120g of protein a day. I've been maintaining and I'm not willing to go any lower in calories. I don't think it's healthy. I remember how well starvation diets worked pre-op and that was terribly, with more gain than loss in the end. Feeling starved and BEING starved can be two different things and you can't fool your body. I used diet pills to lose my apetite and still... I didn't feel hungry, but my body wasn't happy. But just "cleaning up" my diet and exercising makes me lose. Cleaning up means I get the carbs under control and maximize protein at every meal. So I eat less than 100g of carbs a day, most of them coming from fruit, vegetables and whole grains (in that order). I love the surgery because now a small chicken cesar salad is filling. I eat all the chicken and a couple bites of lettuce, and I'm good. Pre-op, that was a joke. So that's using the tool, as the RNY lingo goes. I make many of my own salad dressings with greek yogurt so they're high in protein and lower in calories too.