Most Active
vitamins
queenfairy · 76 replies · 2131 views
Down 201 lbs - before and after pic
Dcgirl · 51 replies · 1099 views
Eating & Drinking together
GodsChildII · 49 replies · 1073 views

How much elemental iron is in your iron supplement?

poet_kelly
on 10/14/12 9:14 am - OH
Iron supplements can be confusing because different types of iron contain different amounts of elemental iron, and the amount of elemental iron is what you want to pay attention to when determining how much iron to take.  I did a post on my blog about how much elemental iron is in different types of iron supplements and just wanted to post a link here: www.gastricbypasscoaching.com/how-much-elemental-iron-is-in- your-iron-supplement/  I did the math and everything!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SoCaPinkLady
on 10/14/12 9:19 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

Lori                               

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/14/12 12:10 pm - OH
Similar to the poster below, the Feosol is a registered trademark not a type of iron. If you look at the rest of the label you will see that it is carbonyl iron.

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

artroxy blue
on 10/14/12 9:38 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12 with
 Great article! 

Candy V.
on 10/14/12 10:02 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12
Thanks Kelly, I read your blog and I am still not sure where my brand falls.  I have BA chewable 60 mg Iron from ferronyl?? is this elemental iron??
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us.
Candy

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 130-135    

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/14/12 10:51 am, edited 10/14/12 5:51 pm - OH
The 60mg BA chewable iron are carbonyl iron, so you are getting 60mg of elemental iron. The "Ferronyl" part is the registered trademark name used by the laboratory that produces the product.

The Tender Iron capsules (not chewable) from Vitalady, BTW, are the same amount and type of iron, but have 400mg of Vit C (instead of just 250 in the BA) to help absorb the iron, and are a LOT cheaper than the chewables ($32 for 400 capsules as opposed to $70(!) for only 270 of the chewable BA).

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

Candy V.
on 10/14/12 12:49 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12
Thanks Lora, I will look into the tender iron after I am done with the chewables.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 130-135    

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

NHPOD9
on 10/14/12 11:02 am
 What about heme iron, Kelly?   

The iron I am using says it is ferrous succinate at 50mg. 
~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW: 170          GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

poet_kelly
on 10/14/12 6:53 pm - OH
Heme iron is something I don't know much about.  I need to learn about it but haven't gotten around to it yet.  If you need info about it, I would suggest contacting Michelle (vitalady.com).  She can tell you all about it.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Neaucora
on 10/14/12 1:05 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
Hi Kelly!  I read the article and checked my multi. I am using ferrous fumarate at 36mg. I have my six month labs drawn on monday so we shall see if this is working. Thank you for the article!
InkdSpEdTchr
on 10/14/12 3:59 pm
Kelly,

I cannot thank you enough for this highly valuable info! This is something every doc needs to give to their WLS patients.

You Rock!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

poet_kelly
on 10/14/12 6:54 pm - OH
I'm guessing there are docs out there that aren't aware of how much elemental iron is in different types of iron supplements.  There are docs that will say they've never heard of carbonyl iron.

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 10/14/12 6:53 pm
RNY on 09/17/12
I had trouble tolerating my iron so right now I'm not taking any...which is a no no.  I saw the Feosol at Walgreens and was wondering if that was easier on the stomach.  Also, what about the tender iron?  And what the heck is the difference between heme iron and carbonyl iron?  Is the heme better?

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery