Throwing up Optifast....only on day 2. What can I do???

millzyh
on 10/17/12 9:01 am
RNY on 11/30/12
I'm wondering if anybody else has had this happen? I'm only on day 2 of 14 of my Optifast and I can't keep it down. Any suggestions?
angeleigh
on 10/17/12 9:36 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12
Call your surgeon.

When I had to my diet i couldnt stand the taste of the kind I had to buy from doc. So I ended up using Slim Fast, Low Carb.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 10/17/12 10:46 am
RNY on 09/17/12
Find something else!  I was required to buy Bariatric Advantage and I couldn't stand it.  I had to doctor it up and by the end of the first week I no longer could drink it at all.  I started drinking the ready to drink Total Lean from GNC.

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/17/12 10:47 am - OH
It seems odd that your are throwing it up pre-op, but if you cannot tolerate it, talk to the doctor's office and ask what other protein drink they would recommend.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 10/17/12 10:54 am - OH
Use a different protein shake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pattyjonichols
on 10/17/12 11:37 am
Sorry to hear this.  Everyone has said the right thing.
1) Call your Nutritionist ASAP
2) Switch to another Protien  (I use UNJURY Vanilla in Skim Milk)  yummm (chocolate's good too.
3) GO SLOW don't gulp it down.   I make a silly routine of fixing my protien drink in a fancy glass,
        turning on the music (or light a candle) and quietly sit and sip).  Yep it works.  + you can solve
        a lot of other problems too hahaha
4) If Milk isn't your speed I've also used Premier Protien Shakes (ready to use) or Syntrax Nectar Protien Powder in Juice.

In any case call the Nutritionist or Doctor ASAP.

Good Luck

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

millzyh
on 10/17/12 12:09 pm
RNY on 11/30/12
Thanks for all the great information. I will call my doctor and dietician in the morning. I tried another drink tonight with some crushed ice and a flavouring but after the third "sip" I had to run to the bathroom. It didn't stay down.
LalahRose
on 8/1/14 1:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

So sorry to hear this, I feel your pain. I can' t keep it down either. I'm trying so hard but it makes me vomit. It's not the taste, I can handle a bad taste easily. But the effect on my body - diarrhea, throbbing headache, quaking nausea, vomiting. My eyes hurt from throwing so violently.

I kept forcing myself to take sips but it doesn't stay down. Came up so fast I had to vomit in the kitchen sink, couldn't make it to the bathroom toilet.

LalahRose
on 8/1/14 4:25 am - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

Day 4 of Optifast and I can't keep it down, either.

Headache, nausea, sweats, vomiting. I'm following the diet to the letter - Optifast with water, some broth. Yesterday I had jello. Maybe it's the Aspartame, who knows? Called my Doctor's office and Nutritionist and left messages.

I'm feeling pretty sick.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views