surgery and smoking

dintybinty
on 10/18/12 11:51 pm
I have finished all of the requirements before my surgery. I only have to stop smoking! I have been a pack a day smoker for years....its hard. I was wondering about the urine test. I was looking at the e cigs to try and help step down. Does anyone have any info on the urine test?
livinglifelarge
on 10/19/12 12:00 am
RNY on 07/27/12
 Sorry but the only way to pass the  test is to stop smoking.  They test for a by product of nicotine, which you still get from the gum, e cigs, and everything else that has nicotine.  It is hard but you can do it.
 RNY 7/27/12        
dintybinty
on 10/19/12 12:02 am
Well, they are aware that I am using the patch, so I am not sure how that will work. I was told, they can tell the difference in the patch and actual smoking, who knew?
livinglifelarge
on 10/19/12 12:05 am
RNY on 07/27/12
It is in the difference of the levels of the byproduct.  I had to quit too and it was hard but doable.  Have you tried to ask them to prescribe chantix?
 RNY 7/27/12        
dintybinty
on 10/19/12 12:07 am
I cant take Chantix, not with all of my other meds.
Dave Chambers
on 10/19/12 12:12 am - Mira Loma, CA

You might try a hypnotist to stop smoking. That's what I resorted to in 1991 to stop--meds like Chantix were not commonly available back then. It worked for me--but you have to WANT to stop smoking.  I must tell you that stopping smoking is WHAT you need to do prior to surgery. I know at least 2 post ops who stopped smoking prior to surgery, but only temporarily. They began smoking a few weeks post op and they both ended up with severe bleeding ulcers that required major surgery to fix.  One guy was around 50 and had a really hard time recovering. The 2nd example was a younger woman, around 22-23, who ended up with 6 surgeries within one year. Her dad told me her last trip to the hospital she was spitting up blood, and she had 6 bleeds in her ulcer. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

wmamey
on 10/19/12 12:14 am
RNY on 06/18/12
On October 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, dintybinty wrote:
I have finished all of the requirements before my surgery. I only have to stop smoking! I have been a pack a day smoker for years....its hard. I was wondering about the urine test. I was looking at the e cigs to try and help step down. Does anyone have any info on the urine test?
They actually test your urine for cigarette smoking? I used an e-cig, but I am going to send you a private message.

addict05
on 10/19/12 12:25 am - IL
They did a blood test on me and I had to have no ciggarettes for a week to pass it.  Hope this helps.
Robin R.
on 10/19/12 12:27 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
there's a book called The Easyway by Allen Carr. It kind of unbrainwashes you. Seriously, it may just be a book, but it's a miracle worker. Allen Carr has clinics all over the US and has a 98% success rate.

hiyacin
on 10/19/12 2:09 am - MD
I was a pack and a half smoker for 30+ years, quit on Jan 2,  2012... Did Chantix for one month then cold turkey...
I had previously tried Wellbutrin but had a sezure on that... so did the Chantix but only for the short time.... I wanted to buzz in on the ecigs
My husband also quit smoking except he was not as motivated (or should I say stubborn) as I, he used an ecig to help him quit. After my surgery in July I still had cravings for cigs as all my co-workers and the rest of my family still smoke. Hubby gave me one of his ECig's and I use it to stave off those cravings. Although since I went through the trouble of quitting smoking I DID NOT want to be a slave to nicoitine any more.. so I use the ecig with the non-nicotine liquid... It works and as a long time smoker I know how hard this habit is to break, I do recommend these ecigs or as my hubby calls them "Not a cigarette... a personal vaporizer" You can get the liquid with nicotine then slowly reduce the nicotine over time til you break the nicotine addition...

Good Luck... YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Cindy & the Boys
Gizmo & Pogo

www.papadopters.com

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 204 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?