Birth control pills post rny?

Selenan101
on 10/29/12 9:47 am, edited 10/29/12 9:49 am
RNY on 06/06/12
I'm currently almost 5 months blissfully post rny. Really loving the 75 lb loss so far in this time!! I now average about 10 lbs a month and I am not eager to give up this loss so I am asking for advice. I would like to start bc pills again, haven't used for over a year so not really sure what is out now that is rny friendly. I would like to do as before and take for 3 months of straight hormone pills before going on the placebo week. The cramps kill me and not even tramadol helps. I don't want an insert like murad(sp?) or an injectable. I like being in more control than that would give, but also afraid of going on one that will cause gain or no loss at all. Does anyone have any suggestions that work for you? Preferably generic brands as they will be covered by Rx insurance. Thanks so much for any help!!!!
 Selenan 

WifeMama
on 10/29/12 9:51 am
RNY on 06/21/12

My doc recommended NuvaRing.  It is easily removed so you can be in control of your BC situation and it releases hormones without having to be absorbed by your stomach.  

Elizabeth G.
on 10/29/12 9:58 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12

Personally, I hated the Nuvaring. My boyfriend was turned off by it so we didn't have as much foreplay when that stupid thing was in. Also, having a big, hard pushing BM, made me wonder if it was getting pushed out. Constantly having to check to make sure it was still there was gross. 

I loved Depo and I currently love my Mirena. 

hannan
on 10/29/12 9:52 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12

My period is crazy and unpredictable but I'm not pregnant I take Loryana. IT works I assume I test it all the time lol. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/12 10:08 am

My dr also switched me to the NuvaRing. I don't like it much but I just deal with it because I would definitely flip the f out if I got pregnant. My husband hasn't complained about it so I don't think it bothers him. It has never come out completely but it does move down some closer to the opening of my vagina if I cough a bunch.

SarahLee1969
on 10/29/12 10:17 am - NY
I am currently on nortrel (generic) it is dosed like seasonal.I have had a little spotting, but otherwise nothing unusual. I was off it 1month prior to surgery, and went back on it 1month after.
Turtle Lynn
on 10/29/12 10:17 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I'm a Depo girl now. . .LOVE not having periods anymore and no cramping, etc. . .Just like BCPs only better (for me, at least). Plus, I don't have to worry about absorption issues and only have to think about it every 3 months! kiss

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

WifeMama
on 10/29/12 11:13 am
RNY on 06/21/12

Have you noticed any weight gain or slowed weight loss since the Depo?

Turtle Lynn
on 10/29/12 11:53 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

No, I haven't seen anything that would make me attribute any "stalls" that I have had to the Depo.  I have hit the "normal" stalls that you will see people talk about post RNY. 

The only weight gain I have had post surgery is because of an ongoing issue I have with swelling in my legs that is NOT related to the Depo; I have had this since prior to my surgery and prior to the Depo.  That is the only reason that I ever go up a few pounds, and that averages 1-5 lbs depending on how bad the swelling is.

I didn't like the NuvaRing either.  I was on that before the Depo.  If I ever decide to stop the Depo, I will most likely either get a tubal ligation or an IUD.  

I don't trust BCPs after having had RNY. 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/29/12 10:18 am - OH
Most surgeons recommend TWO forms of birth control if you choose to take birth control pills after RNY because it is difficult to be sure that you are absorbing enough of it for it to be fully effective.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?