Pita Chips!! Or some substitute?

missmomof4
on 10/26/12 10:53 am
RNY on 09/10/12

I am six weeks out and I haven't really craved carbs - until today! All I want are some pita chips with lots of salt!! Anyone have any suggestions as far as substitutes or something crunchy with some salt that would be ok for me at this stage? I know we are supposed to focus on protein and since I'm not eating a whole lot, anything I put in my mouth needs to be beneficial, but if I dont have a tiny bit of something crunchy soon I think I may go mad! 

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
Dee.spunk
on 10/26/12 11:00 am - Sacramento, CA
How 'bout some almonds?

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Robin R.
on 10/26/12 11:00 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12

crunch...salt...healthy..... how about nuts? my mom said she was nervous to try them early on and found out they were actually one of the easiest foods for her earlier on. everyone is different, but it's not a given that it would hurt ya.

missmomof4
on 10/26/12 11:02 am
RNY on 09/10/12

Thanks ladies, I was thinking almonds, but I wasn't sure if it was ok for me to try them yet or not! 

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
Robin R.
on 10/26/12 11:13 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12

There are chips that are healthy for you that you can find at health food stores. i know there are SO MANY different kinds so you'd just have to explore for yourself. Also, I don't think this is a good idea for you early out (on the other hand, I'm still eating mush so I have no real clue, but it sounds good) but I'm thinking celery and peanut butter with raisins. It doesn't sound like it'd be easy going down, but I've never heard anyone on here talking about celery one way or another... just throwing it out there. Ask your doc what's up :P My doctor's instructions are when I switch from mush food to real food that I try one new food a day so I know what I can handle and what I can't.

Candy V.
on 10/26/12 11:34 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I also get the salt craving, I have had some popcorn and cashews.  Hope that helps.  Also I make nachos with tortilla chips.  I count out 5 (small round chips) so I know how many carbs it is and top each one individually with cheese refried beans salsa and sour cream.  It is a nice texture change and hits the salt craving too!!

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 130-135    

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Lori F.
on 10/26/12 12:37 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12 with

Don't know if it is allowed or whatever since I am pre-op - but you can find whole grain pitas, cut them into wedges and drizzle with olive oil and salt/pepper and bake until crispy.  That way you can control the fat and you could put parmesan or hummus for some protein.

H.a.l.a. B.
on 10/26/12 1:05 pm
RNY on 05/14/08 with

pork rinds. Yum.

H.a.l.a RNY 5/14/2008    

Need to bitch?  or Rave?  To find new R&R - 3.0 group..- send a PM -  to get included...

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell..."

"So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...." 

JanBooth
on 10/26/12 3:08 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

My weight management center sells protein chips that I think are Healthwise brand?  But, you can google protein chips and see what brands are available and some you can purchase online.  The ones that I've gotten are in a few different flavors...BBQ, Sea salt and Vinegar, Pizza, and another that I can't remember.  I'm just over 4 weeks out and I've eaten a few with my tuna salad or chicken salad, just making sure that I chew, chew, chew until they aren't so crunchy. 
Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Christy R.
on 10/26/12 11:35 pm - AK

I also craved something crunchy/chip like.  You can put a small mound of cheese on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven until it starts to brown, parmesan works great.  These make great little "chips" and they are loaded with protein!

Age: 36, Height: 5' 5", Surgery Weight: 390, RNY Surgery Date 4/24/12 

dawnie55
on 10/27/12 12:14 am - Garden Grove, CA

I eat STACY's Pita  Chips 

they have alot of flavors