OT - my back is really bad again

poet_kelly
on 11/3/12 9:52 am - OH

And I'm so unhappy about it.  I had those nerve block procedures done the end of August.  And for about six weeks now, I've been doing these stupid exercises three times a day.  Almost every day, too.  There were two days when I was sick that I only did them once or twice a day, and this past Sunday I was busy doing some major house cleaning, so I didn't do them at all that day.  But every other day, I have done them, three times a day. 

And my back wasn't all the way better, but it was a lot better.  I was being kind of careful about lifting things and how I bend over and stuff, but I have been able to go grocery shopping and take food out of my oven and all kinds of things.  And it still hurt sometimes but not all the time and not nearly as much as it used to.

But for the past week, it's been really bothering me again.  Two days ago, I got down on the kitchen floor to get a can of tomato sauce off the bottom shelf in the kitchen and I could not get up off the floor.  I was home alone, so I had to crawl into the dining room, where I could hold onto a chair and get up that way.  It hurts, a lot.  I've taken a lot more pain meds in the past week than I've taken in probably a whole month before that.  And I'm getting all anxious again about how I'm going to be able to do things, like how I'll do the grocery shopping when I can't bend over and can't pick up things.

I think I messed it up last Sunday when I was cleaning.  My  mother and my sister came over to help me clean and we were moving things to clean the carpets and everything.  They were trying to be real careful not to let me move anything heavy but I didn't want them to have to do all the work, and then my partner was helping with some stuff, too, and he always acts like he doesn't remember I have back problems so he was asking me to help him move bookshelves and stuff.  So now I'm kind of mad about that.

But mostly I'm just depressed.  I don't want my back to hurt all the time like it used to.  And I don't know what else to do about it.  I've been doing the exercises all this week, which is very difficult when my back hurts this much, but I've been doing them.  It doesn't seem to be helping, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 11/3/12 9:59 am - Germantown, MD

Kelly, I'm sorry you're going thru it again! Remember that just because it starts the same doesn't mean the outcome can't be different..... It may take some intervention again but you'll be able to grocery shop & do things again!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Kay L.
on 11/3/12 10:24 am - N., AL

I am sorry.  I don't know exactly what type back problems you have, but I know they're bad.  I know with sciatica problems, you're only supposed to do the exercises as a preventative when you're not having problems (like between sciatica episodes).  I've no idea what I'm talking about in your case, but maybe you should just baby it for a while?

poet_kelly
on 11/3/12 11:33 am - OH
On November 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM Pacific Time, Kay L. wrote:

I am sorry.  I don't know exactly what type back problems you have, but I know they're bad.  I know with sciatica problems, you're only supposed to do the exercises as a preventative when you're not having problems (like between sciatica episodes).  I've no idea what I'm talking about in your case, but maybe you should just baby it for a while?

It's a herniated disk.  One doctor also said I had degenerative disk disease but another said no, I don't, so I'm not sure about that.  But there is at least one disk that is protruding where it shouldn't be and putting pressure on some nerves.  The exercises are supposed to actually help push the disk back into its proper place.  So I should probably continue doing those.  But I think I do need to baby it other than that.  It just gets really frustrating to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Candy V.
on 11/3/12 10:51 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I hope you can get it under control again.  Back problems are the worst.  Check with your Dr or PT person about the exercises.  If it is aggravated again they may want you to rest it or only do certain ones until you feel better.  Get down to lower levels with your legs (squat) not by bending your back.  I also have problems with it, mine turned out to be my right side SI joint.  Have to wait at least 12 months after WL surgery to have it pinned :(

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/3/12 11:34 am - OH
I'm really sorry to hear this. I think I would contact the doctor to see if you should be doing the exercises with the flare-up. You certainly don't want to aggravate it any further. I hope this passes quickly and doesn't become as debilitating as it was previously.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Zeigled
on 11/3/12 11:46 am - Parkton, MD

Bummer!  I got some relief from my back issues with a 'tends' unit.  Have you tried that at all?  It sends electrical impulses address the pain.  I've had two back surgeries that worked but I'm sorry you're having so many problems with yours!  It is so bad.

HW 357 SW 341   

Annie_Anaba
on 11/3/12 12:32 pm
RNY on 08/27/12

I'm sorry you have to go through that. I have a friend who has the same issues and she has trouble sleeping and walking. Maybe you should at least let your doc know about it and they can give suggestions. Sending hugs your way...I know it wont help the pain but maybe it will let you know you are not alone.

debbie0321
on 11/3/12 5:33 pm - Cincinnati, OH
RNY on 08/06/12

I wonder if alternating heating pad with ice packs would help.  So sorry you're in pain Kelly!  I'll be praying for you complete healing!

HW:  404      SW:  336.6     CW:  277.2

hlacy
on 11/3/12 7:38 pm - Chandler, AZ
Happy four year surgiversary BTW
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 139 views
Recent Topics