Giving veganism a try...

artroxy blue
on 11/25/12 9:23 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Now that I'm 3+ months out, and I'm on a pretty good schedule, I am giving veganism a try. I'm finding that while I can (usually) tolerate most things, I'm also finding proteins I used to eat to be difficult for me. For instance, I've probably had foamies and vomitting at least once a week for some time now. I know part of it was eating a little too fast or a little too much, but it's starting to make me not want to eat, but I know I need to eat. I'm already eating on the clock, and it's very hard sometimes.  I don't have a stricture--it's just my pouch telling me to cool it after an episode. 

It will be a gradual transition, and I'm hoping I have better luck with it. I know some folks on here are vegetarians/vegans, so if you have any words of wisdom to pass on, then let me know. Thanks so much!

LadyAnastacia
on 11/25/12 9:27 am
RNY on 11/06/12

I am a vegetarian and eat many vegan meals each week, but I could never give up things like my whey protein shakes, cheese, and yogurt.  I find the consistency of vegan cheese to be equal to vinyl. :)

What type of proteins are you eating?

artroxy blue
on 11/25/12 9:45 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I'm eating everything--fish, chicken, pork, ground beef, cheese/yogurt, veggies, certain fruits, breads (very limited)--you get the idea. LOL I'm currently having some issues with recurring yeast infections, so I'm cutting back on cheeses, yogurt, milk-based products, certain fermented items, etc. to see if that helps. I know it will be a gradual process, but I just wanted to see what others do. 

Lori P.
on 11/25/12 10:11 am - Kenosha, WI

I have been giving this some thought as well....for the same reason.  Meat protein sources just plain hurt to eat.  I have a much easier time with yogurt and cheese.   How do you consistently get your protein in? 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

artroxy blue
on 11/25/12 10:46 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
Currently, I've been eating seafood, veggie burgers, some meats, beans, dark-leafy green veggies (which actually have some protein), etc. I will start adding in tofu, tempeh and seitan after I get my yeast infections in check.

I switched over to unsweetened coconut milk, and starting to try out other vegan/vegetarian protein powders. I know whey protein is best, but I really need to avoid dairy at the moment. I'm just feeding my yeast infection by continuing to eat dairy and other milk products.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 11/25/12 9:43 am - Baltimore, MD

I'm not against post-op vegetarianism or veganism BUT I want to make sure I'm understanding you.

Is your food intolerance mainly a function of eating animal proteins or because you are eating too much/too fast? If it is the latter, being a vegan isn't going to cure that.

I am not vegetarian or vegan but I don't eat a lot of animal flesh. My main sources of protein are whey, dairy, eggs and seafood all of which I tolerate much better than chicken, beef or pork. Not trying to sway you one way or the other, just sharing my experience.

My only comment is to get to know what it will take to get in your protein if you stop eating animal products. It can absolutely be done but I'm sure the vegetarians on this board will tell you it takes some very intentional food choices. But you are fortunate that there are a few folks here that can give you great advice and recipes!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

artroxy blue
on 11/25/12 10:00 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

The food issues I've been having are mostly due to eating too fast or too much. I don't expect going veg to be an answer to that--it's something I have to work out on my own. However, I've also noticed that most meats don't sit well either.

I'm not opposed to eating meat, and it has nothing to do with saving the animals for me. It has to do more with giving it a try--to see if I can fully incorporate it into my life. It is a gradual process, so we'll see how it works itself out.  I'm also still fighting recurring yeast infections, so I've been cutting out dairy, milk-based products, certain fermented products, in the hopes of curing myself of this awfulness. cool

Candy V.
on 11/25/12 10:21 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I have considered this as well, due to pouch fussiness about solid protein.  I  realized that I can eliminate pork and beef and keep eggs, dairy, poultry, fish and seafood.  It doesnt have to be all or nothing, it is just a choice.  Pork gives me the foamies and beef hurts my pouch.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

LadyAnastacia
on 11/25/12 10:34 am, edited 11/25/12 10:35 am
RNY on 11/06/12
On November 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM Pacific Time, Candy V. wrote:

I have considered this as well, due to pouch fussiness about solid protein.  I  realized that I can eliminate pork and beef and keep eggs, dairy, poultry, fish and seafood.  It doesnt have to be all or nothing, it is just a choice.  Pork gives me the foamies and beef hurts my pouch.

Someone who eats fruits, vegetables, legumes, dairy and seafood is called a pescetarian.  I found that out when I practiced that eating style when younger and I needed to notify airlines of my dietary restrictions.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

There are quite a few vegan brands of "meat" in my local grocery store.  They have vegan "jerk chicken", "bbq ribs", "chicken breast", etc.  I haven't eaten beef, pork or poultry since the 80's so I can't compare their flavor to real meat, but I think they are tasty and I can eat small portions of them (chopped up tiny!) since 2 weeks after surgery.

gbsinsatx
on 11/25/12 2:09 pm - San Antonio, TX

I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. Please see my profile page for some ideas of what you can eat if you are interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 426 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 376 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 229 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics