I want to become a personal trainer, but haters hurt my feelings. (vent)

shirleyfhoffman
on 11/29/12 4:30 am - CA

So, I have decided that I want to take a Master trainer class that will certify me as a personal trainer with advanced certifications in the areas of fitness nutrition, exercise therapy, senior fitness, youth fitness, and strength & conditioning. Plus, my husband is active duty so the military will pay for it without me having to use my husband's G.I. Bill!!! We want to split his G.I. bill between the children for their education so I was SUPER excited to share the news with my friends and family on facebook.

For the most part, everyone was really supportive of my decision and told my I'd be a great personal trainer because I already inspire them so much everyday they see me in the gym.

BUT there's always the group of overweight friends and family that are jealous and can't be happy for any of your accomplishments because they don't have any accomplishments of their own. "I love you, but you can't be a personal trainer! You took the easy way out."  "Most people aren't going to be able to have the surgery so they won't go to you cause you cheated to lose the weight." "Who would go to you when you couldn't even lose the weight on your own?" It crushed me! These people are supposed to love me!

It really made me stop and think. Is that how people see me? Just some joke. None of my hard work counts? 175 pounds and 90% of my excess body weight doesn't count?!? Is that how perspective clients will see me?!? Those comments literally ripped away any shred of self-esteem I had built up. I wanted to go eat a bunch of the kids' Christmas candy and enjoy my pity party. BUT I hopped on my elliptical, did 30 minutes of interval training, and burned 400 calories instead. Then I posted the picture below on facebook and I'll write the caption I put on facebook underneath it.

Luckily for me, I have other friends who are absolutely amazing!!! My friend Anna suggested I do it anyway and try to get with a doctor who specializes in gastric bypass surgery to work with their clients and help them become success stories. Really show them how to use their tool in a way that will help them reach and maintain healthy weights. She's amazing!!! I think that would be the perfect job for me! Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!

30 minutes of interval training on the elliptical and 400 calories burned...Please take a look at all of that sweat and tell me again how I took the easy way out. You can continue to judge me from your couch for having the gastric bypass surgery to save my life... OR ...you can get up and join me so we can get healthy and be positive examples to our children together.

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

mmechose
on 11/29/12 4:46 am - Canada

LOOOOOOOVE your comment under your picture!!!!

Let's go for the trainer job...and awesome idea from your friend about joining a doctor team...who knows if won't write a book someday or do a dvd exercises.....

Kat1313
on 11/29/12 4:46 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Good for you!  Go for it!  You've worked very hard to get where you are.  Don't let the haters get you down.....they are just jealous that you've accomplished so much.  To hell with them!

karenp8
on 11/29/12 5:01 am - Brighton, IL

You go girl. Anyone who says surgery is the easy way out has never done it. Everyday we have to make the right choices and do the hard work to get the results we want. You can do this--go for it!!

Amanda M.
on 11/29/12 5:14 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Do it! I think it would be great to work with bariatric patients too! Good for you!!!

And way to stand up for yourself! You SHOULD be proud and confident - you have earned it!

SweetLilyAnn
on 11/29/12 5:15 am - TX

What a great response.  This journey is the most difficult thing that I have done in my entire life!!!!!  You don't understand the difficulties related to what we have done unless you have walked in our shoes.  Just a side note:  The staff at the my PS's office said that they perform PS on a TON of personal trainers.  I was shocked, but it is true......so your PS will be NO different from their situation.  But your journey is more compelling.  I agree with your friend.  Embrace your journey...OWN IT (RNY and PS) and people will admire you for it.  You look beautiful.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

shirleyfhoffman
on 11/29/12 5:30 am - CA

Thank you! Do you have any pics posted of your LBL? I have a plan for my business cards when after I have my plastics done! I'm already making plans. kiss

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

RonSudol
on 11/29/12 7:06 am - NJ

f*ck the haters..

Ill show them an easy way out.. come jog, bicycle, and lift with me.. ill run circles around them.. and im sure you could too.. you have done an unreal amount of work...  On the other hand, people like that are "needed"... naysayers are usable..(for motivation)

ive never personally had anybody tell me this, but if they did, god help them..

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

ginabob
on 11/29/12 7:10 am
RNY on 06/12/12

I love the idea of working with former GB patients. I would love to have a trainer that understood where I have come from. It's in no way an easy way out but I know many people who think that way.

Good luck to you!

BWB
on 11/29/12 7:24 am

Don't ever let anyone tell you what you can't do.  It is all the more reason to use your husband's military status to get the training.  The "put downer's" are everywhere and they are ignorant so cross them off your list and become a trainer.  Good luck to you.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views