Caffeine?

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/12 10:43 pm - NY

I have heard that we are not supposed to have caffeine because of it's dehydrating qualities.  However, I really want to try some of the Big Train Frappe products because I keep hearing how great they are.  Does caffeine really dehydrate us that much?  I have heard so many different things.  I have heard that if you have 8 oz of a highly caffeinated drink, you have to drink 16 oz of fluid to make up for the deficit it creates.  On the other hand, I have heard that it does not cause significant dehydration as long as you stick to only 8 oz or so.

Anyone happen to know what is accurate?

SarahLee1969
on 11/30/12 11:36 pm - NY
Caffeine is mildly dehydrating.
It is also a gastric and general stimulant... meaning it causes increased gastric secretions (stomach acids), movement/squeezing of the intestines (ie promote a BM), may cause central nervous system stimulation.
I personally am a little sensitive to caffeine. Early out, while I was on prilosec (gastric protectant) we were encouraged to avoid caffeine to protect the new pouch.
I choose to limit caffeine due to my sensitivity to it, but my motto is now
EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!, unless I know it is a trigger food and it will take me off track! I will have a cup of 1/2 caf if it is available and Im in the mood, and do Not adjust my fluid intake... I take in 80 or so ounces daily, and figure one cup of a moderate caffeine containing item will be detrimental
Larry Wassmann
on 11/30/12 11:53 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I was told  to stay away from coffee. I have a history of ulcers and was told coffee could make the chances much worse. And ulcers for us is a very very serious problem so my advice would be to not have coffee in any form. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Worrygirl
on 12/1/12 8:52 am - IL

My doc said caffeine can trigger hunger and possibly upset the stomach.  My plan allows caffeine and carbonated drinks at 6 mths out

RNY 8/21/12

Kat Kat
on 12/1/12 10:09 am - AZ

I drink coffee almost every day with no ill effects. I did notice I need to use the bathroom a little more than normal on days when I do, so I upped my fluids. I found coffee actually reduced my appetite, so it goes to show you we all respond a little differently from one another.

Kat

Jilly Bean
on 12/1/12 10:19 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

They'll have to pry my coffee out of my cold, dead hands.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Allison P.
on 12/1/12 3:10 pm - Santa Cruz, CA

I was told I can have one cup of coffee every morning with milk. I do.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 280 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics