queenfairy · 76 replies · 2139 views
Down 201 lbs - before and after pic
Dcgirl · 51 replies · 1126 views
Eating & Drinking together
GodsChildII · 49 replies · 1083 views

Feels like its not digesting

Shelle112
on 12/20/12 6:35 pm - PA

I've been eating and drinking as much as needed but I just feel like my food is not digesting. Any thoughts? I'm eating things such as egg salad, applesauce, very finely chewed cheese sticks, cottage cheese and protein shakes.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/20/12 6:50 pm - OH
What do you mean when you say you think food is not digesting? Are you saying that it feels like the food is just staying in your pouch (we don't digest anything in the pouch other than providing more time for saliva to break it down a bit) or do you mean that your bowel movements contain undigested food? Or that it is not moving adequately through the intestinal tract?

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

Shelle112
on 12/20/12 7:54 pm - PA

I just feel like it's sitting in my pouch.... I guess that's where it's sitting.  Almost a discomfort up in my chest too.  Not painful, just noticable. 

Dawnru
on 12/20/12 9:30 pm

I had my surgery in October, so I am definitely, a newby.  However, I have noticed that when I eat heavier foods like chicken or meat, I have to be especially careful to eat slowly and to chew chew chew the food.  If I try to take a bit of something on the go, I suffer with the same discomfort.  My doctor told me that my pouch is located just behind my chest bone, and that is why I feel the pain there. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/21/12 3:28 pm - OH

Your food is SUPPOSED to just sit in your pouch for a while!  (Liquids like protein shakes, however, will exit fairly quickly).  Think of your pouch like a funnel where the opening is small (especially when you are early out and the stoma is swollen).  Solid food, even when chewed well, will sit there and just slowly "drip" through, whereas liquids exit almost as quickly as they enter the pouch.  Your pouch isn't really digesting anything because it doesn't have the same acids that your natural stomach has.  It is just holding the food so that you feel full with a small amount of food and slowly releasing it into the intestine where it WILL be digested.

Be sure you are chewing everything to a "mush" consistency.  Food that is not well chewed can get "stuck" in the stoma (which is quite unpleasant), is much harder for your body to digest, and can (allegedly) contribute to constipation.

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

LaToya N.
on 12/21/12 3:09 pm - MD
RNY on 11/19/12 with

I also feel like food is sitting in my chest when I eat meat or drink too soon after eating.  It helps when I chew the food about 25 times until it is close to liquid form and wait about 20-30 minutes to drink something.  It's starting to become normal to me but it was hard in the beginning.  Good luck.