Too much weight loss?

johnsmom9983
on 1/23/13 9:28 am
I'm just curious if anyone else has reached the point where they have lost too much weight. I am almost 5'11" and weigh 138lbs. I am struggling to keep from loosing more. I am 14 months out and I do eat. I have increased my carb intake. Anyway, I was just curious if this a normal part of the process and will level off a stop eventually. Thanks

apurdie
on 1/23/13 9:41 am - CA

I am 5'11" also, and my sic said that if I ever got to 145, he would worry.

fiestyshawna
on 9/30/13 2:20 pm - murrieta, CA

hi,

thanks for the information. My problem seems to be the more I eat the more I lose. I know that is pretty weird. I'm 4'11" and weigh 94lbs. I want to weigh at least 100lbs. I am not having any problems just keep losing weight. Well, my liver enzymes have been very high. I have an upcoming apt. with a gastroenterologist but I actually feel great! I know I have a very small stomach but I can eat a lot at a time. This does worry me that I may stretch my pouch and then start gaining like crazy but that doesn't stop me from eating. For one snack I had 8 tbsp. of skippy crunchy peanut butter. And that was just a snack. I do eat a lot so I really don't know why I keep losing. My family doctor is hoping that the gastroenterologist can tell me something. Do you guys think that I have to much malabsortion? I saw that you were talking about it. How did they diagnose that? And what can they do about it?Anything? Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks!! And I do drink a whey protein shake a day. I figure I am getting 1100 to 1500 calories a day. Thanks again. 

Ladytazz
on 1/23/13 11:07 am

It isn't too usual to lose a bit too much at a year out.  Whatever you do, don't add refined carbs.  I have seen many people do that and it always comes back to bite them. As long as you are healthy and in a normal BMI range don't worry about it.  You may also get comments about being too thin and looking unhealthy.  That is also par for the course.  Over time you will redistribute and there is always the bounce back.  When that happens you will be glad you got down lower then you wanted.  If things work out good then by year 3 you should be right where you want to be, as long as you keep up the healthy eating.  The malabsorption will decrease and you can gain a little weight without changing how you eat.  It happens to many.

At a little over a year out I got under 100 lbs.  I was very worried and my surgeon threatened to give me a feeding tube.  Complete strangers would comment on how sickly I looked.  Friends were worried that I was dying, no kidding.  I dreaded running into people I hadn't seen for a while because they were so shocked.  Because I am addicted to refined carbs I was determined not to use my weight as an excuse to eat them.  I upped my protein and fat and put on a little weight.  I still weigh less then I want but at least I no longer look like I am dying.  I am able to eat a bit more all the time and I am confident that I will eventually get to a better weight for me.  I am comfortable with how I am eating and don't feel deprived at all.  I don't count calories or carbs but last time I did I was getting around 200 grams of carbs a day and close to 2000 calories a day but I am kind of a WLS hybrid in that I had a very malabsorptive WLS in 2002 and my revision was to reduce the malabsorption so I probably still have more malabsorption then the average RNYer.  I have a lot of restriction still but it is getting better.

Try adding in a few more protein shakes a day and maybe some full fat things like sour cream and cheese.  Nuts and nut butters are also calorie dense and are a good addition if you are trying to gain a little.  I eat often and have also added in some more complex carbs like oatmeal and gluten free bread.  Just make sure you know that at some point you may actually want to cut those things out if you find yourself gaining more then you wanted.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ladytazz
on 1/23/13 11:11 am

I just looked and your BMI looks to be about 19.2, at the lower end but still not in the underweight category (18.5).  Up the protein and healthy fats and you should be fine.  You don't even have to eat more, just use regular full fat things instead of low fat or no fat and you should be fine.  Use half and half or even cream, butter, regular sour cream, yogurt and cottage cheese and that should help stop the weight loss.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

groovykg
on 1/23/13 11:40 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

What do you usually eat?  Can you snack on nuts?  Those usually keep me from losing.

kse8556
on 1/23/13 11:56 am - MO
RNY on 04/24/12

My husband and I had RNY on the same day.  He got down to 162 lbs from 318 in 8 months. He added spoons full of peanut butter a couple times a day to his diet in December and is now back up to 168, but has to work to stay there. I don't think it's common, but it does happen.  Good Luck.

apurdie
on 1/23/13 12:10 pm - CA

Lady tax, Great advice!

johnsmom9983
on 1/23/13 8:02 pm
An average day would be
Bkt: Coffee with regular flavored creamer. A bowl of oatmeal with walnuts

Snack: PB&J quest protein bar and string cheese

Lunch: 1/2 a veggie sandwich (minus one side of the bun) and 1/2 of a small bowl of white bean chicken chili

Snack: beef Jerkey

Dinner: chicken noodle soup (last night)

I have noticed that when I add my daily protein shake to the mix, my weight will start falling off quickly again So I stopped them and added the carbs like the bread and noodles and my weight will maintain. But I can tell I am not getting enough protein because my hair is starting to come out a little bit. IDK

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 483 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 179 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?