Ohio/Buckeye insurance ??

Samantha Lightner
on 1/26/13 1:27 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with
Okay so I am located in ohio and I have buckeye as my insurance. My friend was approved with this insurance but my nutritionist said they deny a lot she really didn't explain appeal time or anything like that.

So my questions are..
1. Do you have buckeye insurance?
2. We're you approved or denied?
3. If you were denied with any insurance how long was appeal and did you get surgery?
4. Does anyone know of reasons besides a test coming back wrong or psyc eval etc coming back wrong, that I could be denied for?

Please help I have 4/6 months done for Pre surgery evaluation and I'm so scared to be denied :/
poet_kelly
on 1/26/13 3:42 am - OH

I don't have that insurance, but here's the thing.  If you meet the criteria set out in your insurance policy, they cannot deny you.  Your insurance policy that you purchased is like a legal contract.  You can be denied if you insurance policy does not cover WLS.  You can be denied if your BMI is lower than required in your policy.  You can be denied if you don't do whatever steps they outline that you must do, like a six month diet, nutrition eval, psych eval, etc.  You can be denied if any of your tests indicate surgery might be harmful for you, like if you have a serious heart condition or untreated mental illness.

But they can't just decide to deny you.  If your nutritionist said they often do, she is mistaken.  If you're not sure if you meet your policy's criteria or what steps you have to take in order to be approved, call your insurance company and request that information.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Samantha Lightner
on 1/26/13 4:24 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with
Thanks sooo much! I never thought of calling the insurance company myself. I still have to get my tests done but I'm hoping if all comes back normal and the weight that I need to lose is lost by the end of my six months that ill be approved. I am guessing its normal to feel like there is still that "what if I get denied" even if everything seems to be right. Thanks so much for responding!
poet_kelly
on 1/26/13 6:05 am - OH

Oh, I would definitely call them yourself.  You want to make sure you know what you need to do to get approved.  I'd be afraid my nutritionist might be mistaken about something or get my policy mixed up with someone else's or something.  To be sure, I'd want the information myself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.