How much did you gain immediately after surgery??

campingmama
on 3/7/13 10:43 pm - IN

I knew I would gain immediately after surgery due to all the IV fluids. But it was 12 pounds. I'm now down just 8 pounds of it. I have terrible swelling still in my legs, feet and hands. I normally took a strong water pill every day and am really wanting to take it now, but don't want to get dehydrated.

I am wondering how long it took others to lose the water weight from surgery.

I will care for my body so that I can feel the pleasure of being fit & fully alive as I grow older.                  

chulbert
on 3/7/13 10:50 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Everybody is different and I imagine it has a lot to do with your starting weight.  I was in the hospital for two days and came out 3 pounds heavier.

Karen8268
on 3/7/13 10:50 pm - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
I gained 16 lb. It took me a week to lose it. No diuretics!! You are correct about ending up dehydrated. Call your Dr. if you have any questions, but unfortunately this fluid gain is perfectly normal.

Angela_Italiana
on 3/7/13 10:50 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13
I think it varies for everyone. I was up about nine pounds. However, I'm not really concerning myself with weighing right now. Use this time to heal and work on your liquid/protein intake and walking. Our body's have been through a lot and need time readjusting. It will take care of the excess water weight naturally. Don't stress it out any more with water pills, and they may very likely cause you to dehydrate. If you're very concerned with it, you can put in a call to your surgeon as well. Hope that helps a little
courtwillbehealthy
on 3/7/13 10:50 pm - burlington, VT

i gained 16 lbs and lost it the first two weeks. :)

poet_kelly
on 3/7/13 10:51 pm - OH

I have no idea.  I didn't get on the scale right after surgery.  It didn't occur to me to do so.  I didn't expect to lose weight instantly so I didn't see any reason to weigh myself just a couple days post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

charjames
on 3/7/13 11:01 pm - PA
RNY on 10/30/12

I'm with Kelly.  I didn't get on a scale until 16 days after surgery at my 1st post-op appt.  I was down 25.  I still don't own a scale.  I weigh in once a week on the scale at work.  You'll drive yourself crazy if you weigh in every day or every other day.  Focus on the important things- first thing is keeping hydrated.  Next- when you are allowed to eat it getting in the protein.  Then vitamins.  It wasnt until I was 2 months or so out that I was finally on a schedule with all of these things- THEN you can focus on losing.  You''re going to lose- it's GOING to happen.  But you need to get your head in the right place & get the water, protein, & vitamins you need.  It's only in the past 3 weeks or so that I've hit my stride and regularly losing 3-4 pounds/week.

Eva1230
on 3/7/13 11:05 pm
I gained 3lbs or so. But I've dropped it already. I'm post op day three
Kat Kat
on 3/7/13 11:07 pm - AZ

It's understandable that you are retaining fluid, many people do post-op. It's also understandable that you're seeing water weight due to being off your diuretics.  Try to remember that weight lost due to water retention is Water Weight Loss NOT Fat Loss, so even if you took the water pills it wouldn't be indicative of success.  Try not to watch the scale so early out or compare yourself with others, because you'll be setting yourself up for unneeded stress. Follow your food plan, exercise, focus on changing habits and how you relate to food, the rest will follow.

Kat

Jilly Bean
on 3/7/13 11:18 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

11 pounds of fluid.  I felt like I was 9 months pregnant.  It was gone within 10 days.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics