2 days post op

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/13 7:18 am - NJ
Hey y'all,

I'm 2 days post op and experiencing terrible lower left abdominal pain. Is this common? The doc says its normal but did anyone else experience this? I'm taking 2 Percocet and its just taking the edge off so I can get around. Any help would be appreciated!
wmamey
on 3/13/13 7:26 am
RNY on 06/18/12
On March 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, jillyunz wrote:
Hey y'all,

I'm 2 days post op and experiencing terrible lower left abdominal pain. Is this common? The doc says its normal but did anyone else experience this? I'm taking 2 Percocet and its just taking the edge off so I can get around. Any help would be appreciated!
Yes, very much normal. For me the pain was higher up on the left, it lasted a steady 3 weeks. The first 3 weeks were the worst for me, I couldn't sleep in bed, I had to sleep sitting up on the couch. On the 3rd week exactly, I woke up and the pain was GONE! I went out for a walk around the block on that day. That started it...game on! I continued to walk from that day until well, I still walk and run! Keep taking your pain medication and it WILL get better. When you can add some type of exercise to distract you from the pain and get you motivated. A little bit of exercise, walk, run, etc helps with the weight loss! Good luck to you and congratulations on taking the steps to a healthier you!

rgtaylor
on 3/13/13 11:08 am - Baltimore, Canada

I am on day two also and am experiencing the same thing.Good luck! 

PrincessBelle
on 3/13/13 7:34 am
I am post op day 2 & they had to increase my dilauded because my pain is so severe. My left lower side is the worst. I am still nauseous so I was only able to drink today's as 120 mls of water & 240 mls of crystal light, so I still have IV. Hang in there!

RNY 3/11/13. 

Angela_Italiana
on 3/13/13 7:50 am - CA
RNY on 03/04/13
I am just over a week post-op and I still have that pain. It's feels a lot like a muscle strain and often there is the sensation of pulling. Mine was very strong for a week, and I relied heavily on the pain meds I was sent home with. In the last two days I have seen a dramatic decrease in the pain. Just hang in there, it is completely normal and will go away.
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/13 8:05 am - NJ
I'm home now and just sipping everything I can. I'm going to start some protein tomorrow. Should I be worried tha****er & broth aren't making me feel full? I'm so afraid I'm going to be a failure!
Megan K.
on 3/13/13 9:27 am
RNY on 02/18/13

They just cut through a lot of nerves---so no you shouldn't be concerned.  Think positive, you will not be a failure. 

Welcome to the losers bench btw

Allison S.
on 3/15/13 8:49 am - FORT WORTH, TX
I had surgery on 3/8/13 and was discharged on 3/10/13. By that very even I was keeled over in horrendous pain (same area as you) though that claim that this area causes the most discomfort, I couldn't barely walk from the bed to the toilet let alone "exercise". The 15ml of loratab elixir every 4hrs was cutting it either. On 3/12 it got to be to much to bear and I went to the ER. Turn out I had an abdominal edema and was hospitalized again. I just got out yesterday and though I still have pain in that area it is 150% less than before. I can actually stand up straight, walk and more. If you are in immense pain I would go to hospital. Better safe than sorry! Good luck!

~Alli

Highest Weight: 265 / Goal Weight:130 / Height: 5'5" / Age: 34

Eva1230
on 3/13/13 9:04 am
I'm eight days post and had that pain the day of and the day after then it became tolerable. I haven't needed pain meds in almost 4/5 days
Megan K.
on 3/13/13 9:26 am
RNY on 02/18/13

Left side pain is very common after surgery (that's where they do all the "movin").  Some people have intense pain that lasts and lasts, others no so much.  If your pain is intense, let the surgeon/nurses know.  Too much pain isn't a good thing.  I personally had "real" pain for approximately 4-5 days after surgery.

It sounds like you are pretty normal.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 352 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?