Finally a Post-Op
mdaggett · 20 replies · 239 views
unfortunate update
snow_white · 20 replies · 590 views

Why can't we drink from straws?

Sue G.
on 3/24/13 10:44 am - NH
RNY on 01/22/13

I am 8 weeks post op and doing great. One question that keeps coming up that I cannot find a good answer to is why you cannot drink from a straw post RNY surgery. I read some posts about drinking too quickly and air intake but no real comments from anyone that has had any experience with it.

Can anyone explain why?

HW: 242  SW: 212   GW:134

aesposito
on 3/24/13 10:47 am

I have heard the air intake theory, and the theory that it makes you drink more (which doesn't sound bad to me unless its a sugary or alcoholic drink).

In any case, I have always used straws without a problem.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 155ish... 185 pounds lost!!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

CeciliaH.
on 3/24/13 11:08 am

My surgeon says straws are fine and once I started using a straw I was able to get all my liquid in each day. Never had a problem! 

HW 250lbs., Lab Band 6/2010 213lbs., revised to RNY 12/18/2012 224lbs., CW 186, GW 150lbs. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/24/13 11:12 am - OH

My surgeon only restricted their use for the first couple of weeks.  I would never have gotten nearly enough fluid in without using a straw and I do not remember anyone here in the past 6 years who has posted about a negative effect (even just excess air) from drinking from a straw.

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

poet_kelly
on 3/24/13 12:14 pm - OH

We can drink from straws.  If doing so causes you to suck in too much air and get painful gas, then don't do it.  Most people don't seem to have that problem though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 3/24/13 12:40 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12 with

I am able to get more fluids in when I use a straw.  I've never had a problem with air from a straw.  

5'9  BMI 25.8

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

daphneb
on 3/24/13 12:57 pm - AK

I think after surgery for a bit they just don't want you to overdo it as your new pouch heals. However, I think where you're at you'd be fine.  I was paranoid at first, but as others on here realized too, it was an easier way for me to get all my fluids in.  Still struggling on getting all my liquids.

Sip away!

Terri D.
on 3/25/13 9:17 am - MA
I think early on, they can cause some people to gulp liquid. Personally, I found it easier to take smaller sips while using a straw. I now use straws on a regular basis.

Joyceebaby
on 3/25/13 9:24 am
RNY on 11/29/12

My surgeon says "no more straws ever"...to which I say "what he doesn't know won't hurt him!"  hehe

Seriously though, this is the one area where I am non-compliant.  I don't get gassy, or suck in air.  I drink A LOT more water when it's from a straw.  So, I use a straw.

tparham1
on 3/25/13 2:11 pm - Royal Oak, MI

I think it's only right after surgery for a couple of weeks, that's the only way i can get my liquid in, i do so much better with a straw. Just don't drink anything carbonated.

MyLady Heidi
on 3/25/13 5:45 pm

Another silly rule, I have sensative teeth and have drank with a straw everyday starting in the hospital with the protein drink they made us drink before we could get out.