Type of Vitamin C to use? What about aspirin?

Carol_P
on 4/9/13 8:01 am

Hello!

I have a couple of questions. I've started taking a 500 mg vitamin C supplement with my iron since it's supposed to encourage absorption. Do I need to take a certain kind that will be easier on the pouch? It seems like I heard a long time ago that some vitamin C supplements can cause internal bleeding.

Also, I started taking low-dose aspirin every day because I am at a high risk for a blood clot (I have a blood clotting disorder). I have the same question here - is aspirin hard on the pouch, and should I be taking a certain kind? I am supposed to take some sort of blood thinner because (years before the surgery) I had pulmonary emboli due to my blood disorder.

Thanks!

Angela_Italiana
on 4/9/13 8:23 am - CA
RNY on 03/04/13
I just take a regular OTC chewable vitamin C with my iron. From what I was told, they're all about the same as long as you're getting 500mg
Carol_P
on 4/9/13 8:50 am
Thanks! I think the brand that I saw was Ester-C, it said something about being easier to take for people who have stomach probs with other Cs. I'll just stick with the one I'm taking though, since I don't know if their claim is accurate.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/13 8:29 am - OH

As far as I know, there is no significant difference between types/brands of Vit C.  Actually, according to the info I got from my vascular surgeon, Vit C helps you AVOID bleeding issues.  I have not researched it, though.

If you are at risk for blood clots, you should ask about taking something other than aspirin (such as a true anticoagulent like Coumadin).  Aspirin is an NSAID and can cause ulcers, not only in your pouch but (much more problematically) in your remnant stomach as well.  Did you ask your surgeon about taking the aspirin?  They normally only permit it when the benefits outweigh the risks and there are other ways to address the propensity to clot.  (I have been on Coumadin since 1979...)

Lora

6 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

Carol_P
on 4/9/13 8:55 am
I actually took coumadin for a few years after my clots & begged my dr. to take me off of it; I didn't tolerate it well at all. They tried me on warfarin too to see if there was a difference; same thing, it made me very sick. I should probably put in a call to the surgeon's office & ask. The thing is, I got conflicting info when I asked about Ibuprofen (which I don't take anymore) so I thought an aspirin question might be equally confusing.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/13 9:49 am - OH

Coumadin is just a brand name of warfarin, so they didn't try you on anything different... They just gave you the generic instead of the name brand.  There are other anticoagulants they can use, however.

Lora

Carol_P
on 4/10/13 6:43 am

Yep, I know warfarin is the generic, however in my experience, there is a difference as to reactions; I didn't know this until several of my providers advised me that I might tolerate one over the other.

Thankfully, my clotting issue is of the less serious type, and with the pulmonary emboli there were other mitigating factors. I basically had a choice as to whether to continue to take anticoagulants. So I asked to come off of coumadin/warfarin.

It was about 6 months ago that a provider suggested that I at least take something to "thin me out", so I chose aspirin; just was wondering if I took too much of a risk by using it. It's a toss-up between preventing clots or protecting the pouch. The surgeon's nurse told me that it's not that the pouch is more susceptible to bleeding, but it is more serious if there is a bleed (please correct me if this is not accurate).

Thanks!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/10/13 8:04 am - OH

No, your pouch IS more susceptible to ulcers because the pouch doesn't have the amount of "juices" that your natural stomach has (and part of the function of the stomach juices is to protect the lining of the stomach).  The rate of ulcers in people who have had RNY is significantly higher than that of the general population, so there is good reason for them to prohibit the NSAIDs.  

Yes, the can be a difference between the brand name warfarin and generics.  I have trouble keeping my INR stable on generic warfarin, but when I take the Coumadin, it is much easier.  There are other anticoagulents that you could try, though, including some newer ones that don't require the monitoring that the warfarin does.

Lora

Carol_P
on 4/10/13 8:22 am
Thanks for the info! I am going to try to find a local provider familiar with gastric bypass patents; as I said, I've gotten completely opposing information from the nurses consulted thus far. It's been kind of a nightmare. I just found out about 8 weeks ago I have severe anemia even though I did everything I was told to.