Research on the increased incidence of kidney stones after RNY

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/11/13 4:04 am - OH

The one I had actually pass about a year ago (these are too large to ever pass on their own) was excruciating and the morphine was only marginally helpful.  After the morphine they gave me dilaudid and that finally gave me some relief.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bbearsmama
on 6/11/13 12:55 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

That's good to know!! I will have to remember that-dilaudid-lol! When it happened (back in 99), I told myself that I would never ever forget the name of "toradol" so that I could request it again should the need arise-lol! It completely took the pain away!! But now that's certainly not my best option.

I am so sorry you are going through this! Thank you for helping us by sharing what you've learned!

Sincerely,

Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Denise B.
on 6/11/13 12:52 am - Binghamton, NY

Very good information.  Thank you for the research and taking the time to share.

Get a dream, make it yours, and let no one steal it!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Highest weight 285, day of surgery 265, current weight 209, and holding steady.

nfarris79
on 6/11/13 5:48 am - Germantown, MD

Ugh.... setting myself up for kidney stones apparently. Except for the water thing. Hopefully that weighs in my favor.... Still not giving up my animal proteins though!!kiss

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

april89love
on 6/11/13 9:30 am - NC

Great post! It really answers a lot of questions I have had over the last couple of years.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

65rosesmom
on 6/11/13 1:07 pm

Thanks, Lora, this is great information.   It confirms many of my own gut instincts about trying to make sure I don't completely eliminate all carbs, nor rely on only once source of protein, and get in my dairy.   Its a good reminder to keep up the fluids....I agree the surgeon's should have told us this is one of the reasons!!!

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

MyLady Heidi
on 6/11/13 7:18 pm

All purine rich food can contribute to excessive uric acid and stones and/or gout.  Lean meats and low fat milk and yogurts may be a healthy alternative even for someone with high uric acid.  This is a very delicate balancing act of our diets.  I am pulling back on my protein consumption, especially from meat and going back to a normal healthy balanced diet without the protein obsession. I am dropping the artificial vitamins also, I want everything to come from food and I am not convinced all these chemicals/vitamins do any good anyway.

You have worked hard to do the right thing that the doctors told you to do and look what it got you.  Too much protein is not healthy. Period.

Ingrid K.
on 6/20/13 6:36 am - Canada
I just had my RNY on Monday and am really glad to come across this post. As a newbie, I really rely on the experience and kindness of those who have gone before me. Thanks so much for this information!!!
Sherry T.
on 6/20/13 7:00 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

Lora,

Interesting!!    I know this may sound weird but I had the strangest pain this morning....I knew it wasn't gas never expelled any either (sorry TMI) but it almost felt like when I had perforated my small intestine....but after drinking water it has subsided...I'm not a big drinker either...but I know I need to do better.   I still feel sore like but it feels more lower intestinal and never knowing if I had a kidney stone....where does the pain likely feel like its coming from?  I almost posted about it  but wasn't sure and when it subsided I thought it could have just been the grapefruit I ate this morning. Glad to know it has some good to it...was worried all that citric acid might not help.  

Sorry if this is crazzzzzzzzzy!!

Thanks!

Sherry

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/20/13 7:14 am - OH

It can vary a lot depending on where the kidney stone is at, but in general, the pain can be in the lower back, down your flank area, or in the very center of the body.  Pain in the back and flank appear to be most common since the pain (which can be EXCRUCIATING... during my first attack, which was the most painful, I couldn't walk or even keep my eyes open (let alone focus them) because it hurt so badly!) usually comes about when the stone is trying to pass down the ureter from the kidney to the bladder.  With smaller stone  though, the pain would not be as bad.

In two of my three episodes, the pain started in my lower back but very quickly moved to my side (but it feels like a deep pain) and then hurts so bad that it felt like that entire half of my body was generating the pain! This last episode was different (pain was entirely in the lower back) since the stones stayed in the kidney and one was just partially blocking the ureter.  The pain was the kidney reacting to the extra fluid that kept building up as the stone would move slightly and block most of the ureter connection (and it felt like I needed to pee but I couldn't). 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics