Vitamin Experts! Need your opinion on Iron. (Iron is so difficult!)

fernfrog
on 6/26/13 3:31 pm - CA
Okay my Ferritin is a 2. That was all my doctor tested I think as far as Iron goes and we talked about how I have many symptoms of anemia (pica, RLS, bruising, issues with my tongue, and lethargy). Last year I had Iron, Iron Binding and Iron Saturation tests as well as Ferritin (all of them were very low except iron binding) Ferritin was a 5. Not sure why I didn't have all of those but my doctor said the Ferritin says I am anemic and that is all I needed to test. Now, to get it under control. She told me to take 65mg of elemental iron a day. Well, I've got the Tender Irons from Vitalady and I have Profferrin ES and Profferrin Forte. I spent all the money but I'm not sure how much I can take at one time. I know to take with Vitamin C and not to take with my Calcium Citrate. However, how much can I take at once? I've been reading the boards and it seems like some of you are taking way more elemental than 65mg a day. I'd like to take more as well because I'm tired of chomping ice like a nutjob and restless leg syndrome at night. That said, can I take one tender iron in the mid day and one at night for a total of 120mg elemental? Or, should I take a proferrin or two cut in half at night with a tender iron in the day? Too much?

Vitamin experts, I really need you.

Signed,
Anemic kicking and chomping lunatic!
Ladytazz
on 6/26/13 5:44 pm

Run, don't walk, to a hematologist and get iron infusions immediately.  If your doctor won't order them find one that will.  My doctor had me have iron infusions when my Ferritin was 7.  You may be like me and just not able to absorb iron so taking it does nothing.  Even if you do it will take a boatload of iron pills to pull you out of this.  Get infusions right away.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

K. L
on 6/26/13 7:08 pm
RNY on 08/20/12
K. L
on 6/26/13 7:11 pm
RNY on 08/20/12
I've read that some iron supplements are binding and cause constipation. Is this true of the iron infusions as well? What exactly is an infusion like? Is it painful? How long does it last for? I hear people mention these all the time but they sound so scary!
poet_kelly
on 6/26/13 10:59 pm - OH

What's constipating about some iron supplements is the iron salts in them, not the iron itself. For instance, 325 mg of ferrous sulfate only contains 65 mg of actual elemental iron.  The rest is an iron salt, and it's the iron salt that causes constipation.  I'm not sure what type of iron is typically infused, but I'm thinking since it goes into the vein, not the digestive tract, it's probably not going to be constipating.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 6/27/13 12:36 am

My experience.  NO the infusion did not bind me.  It's easy peasy IMO, an IV is what is used to do the infusion.  Depending on the type of iron they give you, some times it can be quick (IV push, approximately 20-30 minutes max) to a few hours of sitting in a chair for the iron to drip.  They did a test first to be sure I had no allergic reaction.  Also did a saline push and gave me benedryl for potential allergic reaction.

I prefer the infusion to fighting taking iron in daily and still struggling to keep it up.  How long will depend on how your body responds.  I've had two rounds approximately 18 months a part.  One was 5 infusions (daily....this was the IV Push of Venefor), the other 6 (one a week for 6 weeks, this round was approximately 1 hour each of Infed).  How I felt after a couple was AMAZING!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

fernfrog
on 7/6/13 8:39 am - CA

I sent my primary an email and asked for infusions and she referred me to hemotology. I've got an  appointment on Tuesday. Thank you for all the advise!

poet_kelly
on 6/26/13 7:14 pm - OH

Your doctor is a nut if she thinks all you need is 65 mg elemental iron a day when your ferritin is 2.  You need to see a hematologist about iron infusions.  And of course you need your other iron-related labs checked.

The ASMBS recommends 54 to 63 mg elemental iron if your iron level is good.  Not when it's in the toilet.

Yeah, you can take more than 65 mg at once.  I take 75 mg at a time but you ccan take more than that.  But you really need to see a hematologist ASAP.  They  normally do infusions if your ferritin gets below 10 or so. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 6/27/13 12:38 am

You are so right, it amazes me how doctors want to wait and see if oral iron will bring a ferritin number that low up.  It may in the general population sometimes but for ANYONE with malabsorption of iron it's ridiculously crazy to think it's worth trying IMO.

cajungirl
on 6/27/13 12:29 am

Definitely find a hematologist.  It is next to impossible to bring ferritin up at that level.  As for taking iron just an FYI.  Proferrin can be taken with calcium where other forms will be cancelled out.  Also, check the Tender Iron (it may have some C in it, if I recall the formula has been changed) although taking additional vitamin C will not hurt.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views