Recent Topics
A distinct change.......
angel91e · 0 replies · 65 views
Texas Caviar?
Myfab5 · 1 replies · 108 views
Most Active

How long after surgery did you wait to drive ?

sarah_durso
on 7/14/13 12:14 pm, edited 7/14/13 12:15 pm

I was told by my surgeon as long as I'm not on pain meds I can drive. How long after surgery did you wait to drive? A few days? Week ?  Month ? 

H.a.l.a. B.
on 7/14/13 12:20 pm
RNY on 05/14/08 with
I drove 24 hrs after my last narco pill.

H.a.l.a RNY 5/14/2008    

Need to bitch?  or Rave?  To find new R&R - 3.0 group..- send a PM -  to get included...

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell..."

"So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...." 

meeshelle
on 7/14/13 12:28 pm
RNY on 03/04/13

i got so used to my husband driving me all over i i think it was around a month but i was also on my pain meds for longer than i wanted to be on them

Visit my blog as I travel this new developing road. :)

http://iveweightedalongtimeforthis.blogspot.com/

poet_kelly
on 7/14/13 12:30 pm - OH

A few days.  One week post op, I drove three hours to my surgeon's office for my first post op visit, then drove three hours back home.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Justcallmesuz
on 7/14/13 12:32 pm
RNY on 05/08/13 with

Maybe a week.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

sarah_durso
on 7/14/13 12:35 pm

I'm driving myself to my surgery in the morning. It's 2hrs away. Then they require I stay within 50 miles for 1 week following surgery. SO staying in a hotel across the street.  I was just going to valet my car at the hospital then either get a ride over to the hospital somehow or drive it myself. So 9 days after, I'll be fine driving 2hrs home by myself . Thanks !  My husbands deployed in Afghanistan and my Moms watching my kids . So don't really have any other options !  

PetHairMagnet
on 7/14/13 1:06 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I had surgery on Monday, came home Tuesday and did not drive until Saturday afternoon.  My husband did not drive for two weeks, but mostly because I was driving him everywhere and he does like being chauffered in my car. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cheryl N.
on 7/14/13 1:08 pm - Des Moines, WA

I had surgery on Monday, came home Wednesday, and drove on Friday.

After my gallbladder surgery in 2010 I drove the next day.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

karenp8
on 7/14/13 1:13 pm - Brighton, IL

I drove two days after but I took nothing other than tylenol for pain even in hospital.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/13 1:28 pm - OH

My surgeons's rule for any kind of surgery is 24 hours after your last narcotic pain med.  (I had open RNY surgery so was on pain meds for much longer than people who have lap surgery.  I don't think I drove for three weeks.)

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

kksnewsong
on 7/14/13 1:55 pm
RNY on 06/06/13
Good luck tomorrow Sarah! Praying for the best for you with surgery and recovery! My son drove as soon as he came off pain meds I was worried so he got Nurse Prationer to write me a note ! Lol , hes 41 when he did this! She said as long as I was off pain med I could drive.. me my husband drives me all the time so it didn't matter! My son told the nurse that his granny and mama worried too much! Lol
  1.     kksnewsòng

Katie K.
on 7/14/13 2:37 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

My program says you can drive as long as you're not on any pain or nausea meds and you can turn around and look behind you in both directions. I could have driven myself home from the hospital. I drove the day after I came home.

JaneJetson60
on 7/14/13 2:41 pm, edited 7/14/13 4:00 pm
RNY on 05/07/12 with

Sarah, make sure you have a back up plan in case you do feel too lousy to drive back and forth to the hospital.  Make sure you have the money to take a cab to and from the hospital just in case.  Also what if you can't for some reason drive at all when it's time to come home?  Just keep all things in mind.  Wishing you the best and keep in touch.  Jane

sarah_durso
on 7/14/13 8:47 pm

I have family a few hours away. If that happens I'll have them come pick me up. It's more of a hassle, but I won't be stuck . Thanks for the post :) 

JaneJetson60
on 7/15/13 12:47 am
RNY on 05/07/12 with

Thanks, Sarah.  Just kind of worried about you doing this all on your own.  post as soon as you feel up to doing it.  Good luck and can't wait to see you here on the losers bench!!!   Sending positive Karma your way! Jane

ebtiger24
on 7/14/13 2:52 pm, edited 7/14/13 2:59 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I just had to be off my pain meds. I took them for about 3 days after I got home. 

KennyBruin
on 7/14/13 3:45 pm - MD

Still not driving. My surgeon says no driving until after the two-week follow up for open RNY patients.  Believe me, I am ready to get behind the wheel.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 7/14/13 5:10 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12 with

I had my surgery on Wednesday and then drove to work the following Monday.  I then drove home because I felt like crap and took 8 weeks off (had a stricture twice).  

Sonja

5'9  BMI 25.8

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

purpleswingline
on 7/14/13 5:24 pm - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

Are you going to have anyone with you? 

sarah_durso
on 7/14/13 8:47 pm

Nope, just me :)