X Post - Four Years Ago Today

lynnc99
on 7/16/13 12:37 am

Well, it was actually yesterday....but here are a few reflections on four years along the journey:

It's a reflective day for me, as I think back four years. About this time of day on July 15, 2009, I was headed into surgery. I wasn't afraid. I trusted my doctor implicitly and was honestly more afraid about what would happen if I did NOT have surgery.

Where am I today? From my lowest weight of 155 lbs. I have bounced up 15, to 170. Some of the habits that I adopted while losing have eroded, and I need to put myself back on the straight and narrow. I am back to drinking diet soda and, some days, skimp on water. Not as meticulous as I need to be about not drinking 30 minutes after a meal. I don't log my food (truth is, I was never very good about that). 

As far as food goes, I indulge in food with sugar from time to time. But I am aware and afraid of the negative effects that those indulgences cause. For example, last week we had house guests and I had a small bowl of "light" ice cream. It put me as close to dumping as I've been in 3 years. And sugar free ice cream isn't any better....the sugar alcohols set me off something fierce. I eat bread products occasionally, but can leave them alone too. Pasta doesn't agree with me so I use spaghetti squash with my homemade sauce. No rice. A bowl of cereal is a recipe for disaster - I feel terrible after eating it, even if it "sounds so good."

Even some healthy foods don't sit well, so I know that for me, oranges are a better choice than apples, and to choose Greek yogurt over Dannon Light and Fit. 

Most days, I still have a protein shake for breakfast and another for a snack (I use the RTD Atkins shakes these days).  My husband does a lot of our cooking, and we eat a lot of fish and fresh veggies.  I snack on greek yogurt, almonds, or fruit. I have a low tolerance for overly salty foods. But - that said - every so often I love a slice of pizza or a hot dog (yes, with a bun). Go figure. 

I had let exercise lapse over the past year or so with our move, but am back to aerobics classes at least 3 times a week. I enjoy it - just hard to pry myself out the door some days. Those old vegetative habits are indeed still there, waiting for me to pick them up again. I have to be aware of that. They are lurking....

The vitamin regimen is just part of everyday life. I watch for BOGO specials and stock up, and have a little ritual of setting up my vitamins every week. 

I know many post ops look at plastics as a next step. I have been lucky in that my legs, arms, and butt look okay (for a woman of 57. Which may not be saying much!) But the part that was very hard for me was my neckline, which really looked wrinkled and saggy after weight loss. Last October, I had a face lift done. My mom helped cover the cost, which was the only way I could have managed to do it, and it was a great decision. While I could probably use a tummy tuck, I didn't want to get into a full surgical recovery period, and didnt want to spend the $$, so for right now I will keep my one piece swimsuits handy. 

I feel terrific. Losing weight was the BEST decision I have made in my life. I am more confident and self assured than at any point in my entire life. I know without a doubt that obesity would have hindered my job search two years ago, as well as advancement (and hey, I just got a promotion!)  It pains me to realize and recognize that obese people in our society are subject to such painful discrimination....I was subject to that, as were many of you. 

My maintenance plan is sketchy, but mostly guided by my clothing. I know, I know....all sizes are not created equal. But I have a threshold size that I will NOT go over, so if things get snug, I just crank up the water and veggies. Kicking the exercise back in has helped too. The other tool I use is my old drivers license. It's in my purse all the time. 

I have moved to FL since my surgery and here, nobody really knows I had surgery. I've told a few people that I've lost a lot of weight. They act like they can't believe it, which is unbelievable to me. Don't I look "formerly fat"?

tdbull
on 7/16/13 1:11 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13

Sounds like you're doing very well.  Congrats on your anniversary!!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

karenp8
on 7/16/13 2:58 am - Brighton, IL

Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing your story with us.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/16/13 2:59 am - OH

Congratulations, Lynn.  Well done!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/16/13 3:50 am

Great job!! Congrats!!!

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SteveWebb
on 7/16/13 4:16 am - NC

Good job!  I know a lady like that here.  She is so slim now I didn't believe her until she pulled out her pictures and showed me.  She was really fat in a wheel chair couldn't walk on 6 insulin shots a day. Now she's slim, walks anywhere she needs to and only takes vitamins.  She really encouraged me to go get the surgery and I've begun the process and hopefully will get my surgery in Oct or Nov.

BWB
on 7/16/13 4:36 am

Thanks for the view from 4 yrs out.  It is a good reminder for us to keep a tight ship on our habits.

nspg01
on 7/16/13 11:44 am

My anniversary is Sept 11,2009 and am so glad that I read your post.  I didn't get as close to my goal as you but had to put up with a great deal last year and this year about march.  I lose  134 LBS and was thrilled how well I felt.  But I started to FORGET my routines.  Kept taking vitamin's and continued using a scoop of Whey Protein in my coffee in the mornings but last Feb I was diagnosed with colon cancer.  Had it removed and had chemo. Extremely tires and everyone along the way said "TAKE IT EASY AND LIE AROUND MOST OF THE TIME.  So I did.   Last chemo was 9/26/2012 and I was extremely anemic.  4 days after last treatment, I had a dizzy event, fell and broke a bone in my left foot.  Had to wear a unyielding boot up to my knee.  nd Everyone said, lie on your back with left lef elevated most of the time.  So I did.  Then, (probably because of the boot or maybe even chemo drug)  in Feb of this year, I had a blood clot and am still taking warfarin everyday and was told to take it easy so as to avoid a clot breaking loose and traveling to lungs where it would be very dangerous and could cause death.  Was told to take it easy.  And so I did.  Well,  no grocery shopping for healthy foods, ate whatever was offered me, no exercise and now my leg muscles are very weak.  I was a swimmer and had muscular and very strong legs.  GUESS WHAT, I DID EVERYTHING I WAS TOLD TO DO AND gained 30 + pounds.  About 3 weeks ago, I decided to back to square 1 and have a liquid diet like i did PRIOR TO MY SURGERY IN 2009.  It was very easy cause I knew what to expect. Now Glucose readings are very close to control.  No lantus for over a week.  BP is back where it should be and am hoping to be taken off Warfarin after my INR test tomorrow.  Incidentally,  I have lost 20 lbs and it was so easy.  Done without exercise.  When I get released from Warfarin will start out walking.  Have never been able to eat hamburger cooked any way since surgery and don't miss it at all.  Am now easing back into my previous post surgery diet and feeling wonderful now.  I was close to my 66th birthday when I had RNY in 2009 and am now 70.  I feel better than I have felt in about a year and half.  My TOOL still works.  It tells me when I can't swallow anything else.  Prior to surgery, I never felt full until it was too late.  We had late doctor appt yesterday so we decided to eat out and went to Texas Roadhouse.  Don't like  steaks but hubby does.  I ordered a 1/2 rack of ribs.  Was only able to eat 2 ribs,  couple bites of garden salad and couple bites inside baked potato.  Took home rest of food.  Hubby ate most of it last night for his snack.  I ate the last two ribs today for lunch.  TOOLS WORK IF YOU LET THEM.  So happy Im back on track and plan to do as much as possible to meet my goal F I N A L L Y.  Will let you know.  Was happy to get back on this site because there is no support group within 30 miles of me and OH was my total support.  Maybe, I can help someone as I continue my delayed journey.  BELIEVE ME THIS WILL HELP ME AS WELL.  Nancy

debbysjourney
on 7/16/13 10:07 pm
RNY on 10/14/13

Lynn, thank you so much for the update!  You've done great!!  And your success pictures are very amazing!!  I am planning for my surgery in October and love reading about the anniversaries of this surgery.  I originally wanted the sleeve surgery, but insurance wouldn't go for it.  So I've been reading up on the RNY as much as possible.  Congratulations!!

debbysjourney
on 7/16/13 10:16 pm
RNY on 10/14/13

Nancy thank you for posting as well.  I will be 58 this year and have been a little concerned to do this later in life, but being this heavy is not good for me either.   You've done great with all of your "obstacles"!   I've lost weight in the past but when things throw me off it does so with my eating, and cancer is a BIG obstacle!   You're a very strong woman!

The vitamin deficiency has been once of my great concerns and it sounds like both of you are doing well with that.  :)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 224 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics