Vitamin D level normal?

poet_kelly
on 8/5/13 5:56 am - OH

They aren't exactly wrong.  They are an average of what a bunch of test subjects tested at.  They just aren't necessarily the levels research shows are needed for optimal health.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LilyBugsMommy
on 8/5/13 5:22 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Bump

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

cajungirl
on 8/5/13 7:08 am

Do you have all of your iron numbers?  Iron Saturation, Iron, TBIC, ferritin, H&H.....all of them together will give you more understanding on what's happening IMO.  For instance, my regular iron numbers are always mid-range, my ferritin tanks.  You are a nurse right?  Do you understand the CBC and iron numbers vs. ferritin? 

Yeah I'd personally be popping 5000 mg of B-12 sublingual a day to raise B-12.  I actually do take 5000 mg a day and mine stays so far between 1200-1700, I prefer mine above 1200 but no less than 1000.

My D I try to keep around 80+ and have had it go way over 100 and under 80 several times where I change things up some.  You are taking Dry D right?

Any chance you have copies of your pre-op labs?  If you aren't it is very helpful visually to put each set up labs in a spreadsheet and watch your trends.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

RainbowRN
on 8/5/13 2:21 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Pre op numbers:    3/2013                                                      New levels: 8/2013

Hgb- 14.0                                                                                     Hgb- 12.6

Hct- 43.0                                                                                       Hct- 38.8

Iron- 64                                                                                         Iron- 51

TIBC- 284                                                                                    TIBC- 261

Transferrin Sat- 23                                                                      Trans sat- 20

Ferritin- Not drawn                                                                      Ferritin- 105.7

Yup, I'm a nurse but I don't deal with these particular labs on a daily basis except H&H.  I work on a neurosurgery unit so we are more specified.  I haven't used some of these labs since nursing school which was YEARS ago.   You know what they say...you dont use it and you lose it.  :)

I am going to be popping some serious B12 as well and I am going to up my dosage of Vitamin D. I don't take a big dosage now. I usually keep pretty good track of my labs.     

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

cajungirl
on 8/5/13 11:54 pm, edited 8/5/13 11:55 pm

With your iron trending downward in 5 months you probably need to stay on top of this for sure.  I'd have to do some research but the ferritin levels if I recall can be skewed sometimes (false read) due to inflammation and various other reasons.  Not saying yours is wrong and since you don't have a previous level to compare just stay on top of the entire iron labs you have and continue to watch for trends.

BTW I hope my original reply didn't sounded like I was questioning you or your nursing degree.  I re-read it and that was not my intent; if you took it that way I apologize.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

illinois Gama D.
on 8/6/13 1:17 am

I just love you! you are so sweet, see what i mean, i never see you post anything out of character for you, I want to grow up to be you, even whenyou dont offend you still appologize, YOU are a gret , wonderful person, can we be BFF'S. Denise X

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 385 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views