Day 2 Post Op

TopherCarter
on 8/22/13 6:42 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Hey, guys!

I had my R-en-Y yesterday at around 10...I just got home from the hospital.  Just wanted to do a quick update:

The operation seemed to be super smooth, but my bladder got sleepy from the anesthesia.  I was threatened with a catheter several times, but managed to make 300ml of pee right under the wire.  Phew.

Today, my labs showed that my kidneys were having trouble...but after giving me some more IV liquid, all that seemed to level out.  I'm home and happy now. 

I got up and walked three times yesterday, three times today...ALSO, I walked from my hospital room to my mom's car upon dishcarge. 

I'm having no trouble tolerating clear liquids...was able to do a little sugar free pudding today (will have some for dinner as well)...looking forward to more full liquids tomorrow. 

I am experiencing a great deal of pain from the largest incision, and what seems to be some HELLA soreness (perhaps muscle) underneath.  It's making it hard to take deep breaths, because the pain flairs up...but other than that, the pain is very manageable. 

Thank you all for listening and for starting this journey with me.  The WLS community here has encouraged me more than I can possibly say. 

LOVE!

sm14
on 8/22/13 7:07 am

Sounds like you're doing awesome! I'm at day 4 post op and still on clear liquids (tolerating fine) my surgeon wanted me to stay on them for 48 hours after discharge. Other then that it seems like our paths are pretty similar so far!

anewme71
on 8/22/13 7:41 am - TX
RNY on 10/11/13

Sounds like you are doing pretty well. I am excited for you and hope to be on your heels soon!

Highest Weight 304, Feb 2013. Met with nutritionist in March 2013 and started diet. Surgery Weight 272 on 10/11/13.  Current weight 231.

LadyLilMax
on 8/22/13 7:46 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Congrats!  So excited for you!

On your deep breathing, please take the pain med if you need to but do your deep breathing!  You need to expand those lungs after surgery to help blow off the effects of anesthesia and also to avoid pneumonia!  Great to hear you are walking so well.  But honestly, no need to be in pain.  That is why they give you pain meds, so you would be comfortable doing activity post op!  

Sounds like you are really on the right track. So glad you are home and keep us posted.

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

pamela258
on 8/22/13 7:52 am
with
Sounds like you're doing great. I'm on day 10 post op and had my surgeon follow-up today. thumbs up to go on to mushy foods. Hope you heal fast.

RNY - 8/12/2013

Maggie May
on 8/22/13 9:57 am
RNY on 08/21/13

We had our surgeries at the same time. I got home today with four prescriptions I couldn't get filled. My doctors intern wrote me  a script for hydrocodone/tylenol 1.7/325 but the pharmacy says that is impossible to get, is backordered from the manufacturer. 7 pharmacies later, and finally found one that had the phenergan in suppository form, but no one has the disolvable prilosec so I was given a capsule full of little beads? Ugh, it's been a nightmare. Can't find liquid vitamin D drops either. I cannot believe my doc sent me home, knowing i'm from out of town with pain meds after stopping my drip at 9am this morning. 

I also have reason to believe the intern did my surgery and not my doctor. I am livid. The intern said the bypass is picture perfect and was telling other interns about it at rounds this morning and I asked him if he performed my surgery and he said he did with the main doctor. Not cool.   None of this was mentioned to me beforehand and I feel deceived. So now I have  lortab tablets I'm having to crush in water. Disgusting. Prilosec beads are awful too. After running around like a crazy woman looking for prescriptions that don't exist, I'm home, exhausted, in immense pain and pissed off. His office is very difficult to deal with, very uncaring today. The nurses at the hospital last night also ignored my pain. I've done more walking today than I've done in a long time and My incisions have been bleeding . I've crushed some lortab and just want to get some sleep. Not a good experience for me. :(                                                                                           

Maggie May 

TopherCarter
on 8/22/13 10:20 pm - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Oh my, Maggie May! Sounds like a nightmare! I'm so, so, so sorry!

The doctor didn't put me on a drip.  He just ran Tylenol through my IV.  The pain has been very, very intense.   He did, however, write me my 'after surgery' scrips at my last pre-op appt, so that I was able to have them when I got out of the hospital. I did have trouble getting my hydrocodene filled, too...The Wal-Mart pharmacy was a nightmare during that whole ordeal, and they spoke to me like I was a subhuman piece of **** after they had made mistake after mistake. 

Funny you should mention the intern at yours...I was asked and told to sign a consent right before they put me under, if I wouldn't mind there being a student in the room.  Of course, I said I didn't mind at all.  The nurse then said that if the student was going to actually be involved in my surgery, in any capacity but to watch, that she would tell me, and I'd have to sign another form.  Well...I never had another form to sign.  And I found out post op that the student did take part in the surgery.  I think she mainly just maneuvered the camera inside me, but still...I wasn't told she would participate. 

My pain goes from manageable to not manageable...but everyone I've spoken to says it's pretty normal.  I hope that after a couple of days, everything will start to level out for you, too.  I keep telling myself, it's only a short amount of time to suffer, for the rest of my lifetime of enjoyment. 

Big love!

AllyMomof3
on 8/22/13 10:45 am - Lamar, MO
RNY on 08/21/13

Yay I am home too. Not much pain for me though. Also my surgeon does not use stitches or staples only glue. I found that odd. LOL Oh well. Feel better soon buddy. 

Starting Weight: 357 Surgery Weight: 312 Goal Weight 157 Surgery date August 21, 2013 Current Weight 302    

TopherCarter
on 8/22/13 10:22 pm - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

You were the first person I thought of when I woke up from surgery! I'm glad you don't have much pain....mine, thankfully is primarily in one place.  I didn't have great pain meds in the hospital...but the scrip I have for pain now takes a bite out of it. 

And yeah...I'm glued up, too.  How many incisions did they do total for you? They did 6, but told me they normally only did 5.  When I asked why 6, they didn't really give me a straight answer.  LOL

AllyMomof3
on 8/22/13 10:27 pm - Lamar, MO
RNY on 08/21/13
I am opposite u. They said they is normally 6 butI have 5. Lol last night was a little more rough for me. My need is far too soft think I will be sleeping in the recliner the next few nights. Much more comfortable.

Starting Weight: 357 Surgery Weight: 312 Goal Weight 157 Surgery date August 21, 2013 Current Weight 302    

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics