New here....trying to pick a surgeon and a procedure.

Chaychee
on 8/29/13 11:44 pm
RNY on 10/14/13

Hello All,

I am very new to this but I am planning to arrange for RNY or GS at the end of this month or early October.  I have gotten prices from several DR's in Mexico and have read several reviews on each but I thought I'd get opinions here since you are all probably a lot more in the loop on things.  What do you know about Dr. Osuna (female) and Dr. Cabrera?  Have you heard positive? Negative? I seem to read a lot about Dr. Kelly Ramos on here.  I know I have looked into him but don't remember what he charges.  I  will be going to Tijuana since airfare for me to San Diego is about half of any of the other locations.  Please, let me know any info you may have! I'm all ears! I appreciate the guidance and help.  Also, I"m thinking RNY over VGS because of the amount of weight that is lost.  I have heard it is comparable but I was going through an American doctor here in the states initially and I was told that with the RNY you're able to lose more.  I figured if I"m going to go through with this I might as well 'go big or go home.' I just see the VGS being pushed by these coordinating companies.  Why is that? Are the surgeons more comfortable with doing it? Is it an all around easier procedure and they're not as comfortable doing the RNY?  So many questions.

Thanks so much

Stacey B. (Utah)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/30/13 12:57 am - OH

It is not so much that you will lose more with the RNY, but you will initially lose somewhat faster than with the sleeve.  The tradeoff for that temporary caloric malabsorption (lasts about 18 months) is a lifetime of lack of vitamin absorption, significant vitamin supplementation, and inability to take NSAIDs.

By 5 years out, the amount of weight lost and maintained is comparable between the two surgeries (because, at that point, maintaining the loss is far more about how disciplined you are in sticking to a new eating plan than what kind fo surgery you had).

Sorry, cannot help you with surgeon info.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsBatt
on 8/30/13 3:29 am

There's a third option that has better long-term results than either the Sleeve or the RNY. It's called the DS (duodenal switch), and it has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. With the RNY, malabsorption of calories lasts about 18-24 months, but malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals is for life. With the DS, malabsorption of calories is permanent. There is only one surgeon in Mexico that I'd trust to do a DS---his name is Ungson.

Chaychee
on 8/30/13 5:10 am
RNY on 10/14/13

I just keep hearing about those who eat sweets have better weight loss with RNY over VSG.  Sweets are my downfall....without a doubt! I can go without chips, pizza, fries, etc. but I have a hard time passing up ice cream or chocolate.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/30/13 5:20 am - OH

Only about 30% of people who have RNY dump from eating too many sweets, so for 70% of us there is no physical "punishment" to help deter us from eating chocolate or ice cream and we have to use old-fashioned will power.  Since the chances are significantly against you being one of the dumpers, that probably shouldn't be a primary consideration in your choice of surgery type unless you think you can be very disciplined and not ever try any sugary foods to see if you do or don't dump... and that way maybe the fear of dumping will keep you from eating sweets.  For most of us, though, we eventually discover -- either intentionally or accidentally -- whether or not we dump.

I had hoped that I would be a "dumper" because I, too, love chocolate and ice cream, but for practical purposes, I am not (I only get sick if I eat a LOT of sugar (and calories)). My surgeon told us that not everyone dumps, but she didn't tell us how low the percentage was.  If I had known, I might have made a different surgery choice.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 375 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views