Calcium Citrate Question

TopherCarter
on 8/30/13 9:53 pm - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

I am fairly certain there isn't an issue, but thought I'd throw this out there, in case anyone has heard differently.  Is there any reason why I couldn't crush a calcium citrate pill and take it with water?

I appreciate your input!

Much loser love!

ebtiger24
on 8/30/13 10:04 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

None that I know of. There are chewable brands available that would save you the trouble. Having trouble swallowing them?  

TopherCarter
on 8/30/13 10:12 pm - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Well, I'm not quite 2 weeks out from my surgery, and my surgeon recommended I not swallow pills that aren't capsules until a few months out.  I had gotten liquid calcium citrate, but the taste and texture is intolerable, so I was just hoping to find a temporary fix for a few months. 

And THANK YOU for you response! :D

angeleigh
on 8/30/13 10:58 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I was swallowing my pills day after, it never bothered me. For some of them if they are big you can cut them in half. But really no reason to crush them or have chewable.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

SarahLee1969
on 8/30/13 10:22 pm - NY
Early out I was struggling with the size of the calcium pills... so I put them in a Medicine cup and dissolved them in water then "drank" them. Very chalky and gritty, but I survived until I felt more comfortable with the pills. I currently use a mix of pills and chews, but am considering trying the crystals/ powder.
TopherCarter
on 8/30/13 11:51 pm - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

I think I'll eventually move onto chews...or just take the straight up pills...but in the meantime, I wanted to be sure there would be no problem.  I picked up some calcium pills a couple of weeks before surgery, because Rite Aid had 'em but one, get one 50% off, and I figured I'd be able to use them at some point....and I had bought liquid for the first couple of months after surgery.  But I just couldn't handle the grody flavor and texture of the liquid I bought.  I may have to look into the powder.  Thanks you for your input, Sarah! :D

poet_kelly
on 8/30/13 11:38 pm - OH

Nope, no reason at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TopherCarter
on 8/30/13 11:49 pm - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Awesome.  Thank you, Kelly! :D

Nutmegger
on 8/30/13 11:56 pm, edited 8/31/13 6:53 am
That's my my doc & dietician recommend early out. However, they said don't sallow any grit at the bottom, something about terrible taste. I never tried the liquid or powder, did chewable (way too sweet!) then swallowed whole capsules.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/31/13 12:28 am - OH

You can actually save yourself the crushing and just buy Upcal D calcium citrate powder.  It is available on Amazon. You can mix the powder with any beverage and drink it.  I do that most mornings with my SF hot chocolate with protein powder for breakfast.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 166 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?