Dealing with Pain when You Can't Take NSAIDS

poet_kelly
on 11/18/13 10:24 pm - OH

When I had my RNY, I had no idea how much I would miss NSAIDS.  I miss them terribly!

I wanted to post a link to some information about dealing with pain when you can't (or choose not to, due to the risks) take NSAIDS, but also get some feedback on what works for other people.

So here is the link: Dealing With Pain When You Can't Take NSAIDS

I've been having pretty significant back pain lately.  The things that seem to work best for me are heat and some energy work, like Reiki.  Unfortunately, I am not able to get that done very often.  What works for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chulbert
on 11/18/13 11:07 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I'm sorry you're in pain and I hope you find relief.  Thanks for the helpful information.

Though I'm a little disappointed to see a recommendation for snake oil like acupuncture.

poet_kelly
on 11/18/13 11:08 pm - OH

Some people find acupuncture to be very helpful.  I haven't tried it myself.  But I know some people that have benefitted from it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/19/13 2:43 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM Pacific Time, chulbert wrote:

I'm sorry you're in pain and I hope you find relief.  Thanks for the helpful information.

Though I'm a little disappointed to see a recommendation for snake oil like acupuncture.

Acupuncture is an effective way of dealing with many health issues that plague people and diminishing them as snake oil is as insulting as calling WLS the easy way out. 

This is a type of medicine that has a history far longer than that of our Western mindset and can be extremely beneficial. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

chulbert
on 11/19/13 2:56 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Lots of things were done for a long time before we realized they didn't work.  History is not an indicator of truth.

Regardless, I do not want to derail this thread with a lengthy discussion on acupuncture.  Suffice it to say there is no clinical data to support its efficacy nor any evidence or plausible biological explanation for its core principles.

BellaSaid35
on 11/19/13 9:08 am

Despite how you feel about acupuncture and its documented benefits, many people swear by it. Even if its a placebo effect, and works by the power of the mind, it still is an effective treatment for many people. You can't discount these people as a whole can you?

Rny 2.14.12

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/19/13 7:36 pm

http://www.mskcc.org/blog/clinical-trials-analysis-finds-acupuncture-effective-treating-chronic-pain

One of study that show effectiveness of acupuncture. And there are many more...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/19/13 11:02 am, edited 11/19/13 7:29 pm

I get acupuncture often. But like with as lot of things - you have to find a good practitioner to get full results.  I was very skeptical... But after she treated my shoulder injury, one that I was told would require surgery for, I become a believer.  At the end - my shoulder - rotator - is fully functional, no residue pain, or any other issues. 

Acupuncture is thousand old years practice that works.  But you would need is a really good practitioner. And there is a lot o clinical study about that.  Do your research. Just because we don't completely understand how it works - it does not mean it does not work. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Caroline K.
on 11/18/13 11:18 pm

I find it depends on the situation. For some things, massage theraphy or chiropractic treatments in conjunction with heat packs or ice packs helped. After quite a bit of dental surgery, I had chronic pain in the temporomandibular joint. The only thing that worked for that was something called Bowen therapy (recommended by my dentist from his own personal experience).

fatfreemama
on 11/19/13 2:04 am - San Jose, CA

My bariatric group did a seminar on what to take for pain after RNY.  Heat and/or ice were the first things.  Heat pulls the blood to the area, ice pushes it away.  There was no telling which was better, it was whatever worked for you.  When I'm in a lot of pain (like the gallstones before I had my gallbladder out), I like to go straight to vicadon.  Works best for me.  :D

Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
Recent Topics