Gallbladder Attack!!

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/19/13 9:31 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

About 2-3 weeks ago, I had this uncomfortable episode where I had a lot of chest pain, it was hard to breathe and it was a bit scary. I thought to myself, am I having a heart attack???? Then my husband reminded me about the gallbladder issues that can arise after surgery. So, I chalked it up to a gallbladder attack and didn't think much more about it.

Well, 2 days ago (Monday), I am at work and about 30-45 minutes after I finished my lunch, I started having chest pains again. It was a million times worse than the previous episode! It was a sharp, stabbing, debilitating pain in the centre of my chest that radiated around to my back and up to both my shoulders. I couldn't stand up and I could hardly breathe. As I was laying on the floor in my office, my office-mate was helping me. Lucky for me (but not for her), she had dealt with gallbladder issues for about 3 years before they finally took hers out, so, she recognized the signs and symptoms of the attack and understood the pain I was in. So, I work in a college. The 2 offices next to mine have nursing faculty in them. So, they came to check on me because after 45 minutes, there was no letting up of the pain and I was starting to get worried it was more than a gallbladder issue. They said they felt it was gallbladder but recommended the hospital because it was lasting so long. So, off to the hospital I went.

I got there around 5pm and left by 10:30pm. While there, I had 11 pokes at me trying to get my blood and trying to get an IV in....not a lot of fun I always have a very hard time with needles. They can't find the vein or keep it going when they do happen to find one. I was sent for a CT scan to rule out a hernia (as after RNY we have a higher chance of getting these at the sites where they re-attach the bowel). Nothing there, so, that is good. I go for an ultrasound of my gallbladder on Thursday morning to see what is going on in there. Then we decide what we are going to do about it. Overall, I was in the worst pain of my life for about 3 hours before it started to subside, slowly.

Until we figure things out, I need to be very careful that the food I am eating does not contain a lot of fat or is very greasy....which I normally do any ways. But, on Sunday night I had baked in the oven some chicken thighs, just with some spices on them. I could see a lot of fat had drained off of them during the baking process and I did not eat the skin, I only had the meat. I had one piece for supper Sunday night. On Monday, I had 2 pieces for lunch. This is what sent me to my agony. I guess they were still too fatty for me even without the skin. So, I will not be eating anymore dark meat until I get this figured out. I generally eat chicken breast any ways, but, that can get expensive so I thought I would bake the thighs for our family dinner. Not happening again!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/19/13 9:41 pm, edited 11/19/13 9:41 pm - OH

My mom's gallbladder issues presented the same way, and I took her to the ER both times just in case (since she was close to 70). After they cleared her heart a second time, I suggested the gallbladder and had her make an appt with her PCP.  She made me go with her because she is TERRIBLE at asking questions. 

Three weeks later, they removed her gallbladder.  It was enlarged (showed up that way on the scan), and was filled with sludge.

I hope you feel better and get it resolved quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ocalasam
on 11/19/13 10:29 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I'm NOT a doctor, but that is totally your gallbladder.  I just had mine out about 3 weeks ago and had exactly the same symptoms.  The pain feels like your are being murdered by a dagger to the chest (so dramatic)!  I have had 2 C-Sections, RNY and gallbladder attack is by far the worst pain I have ever felt.  I have a high pain tolerance and I thought I was surely dying!  My recovery was so darn easy though.  I was back to normal in 2 days and my incisions are almost completely gone now.  I guarantee they'll tell you gallbladder.  The attacks can last from 15 minutes to 15 hours (although that is not typical - an hour is the norm).

Quinnherd
on 11/19/13 10:48 pm - MA
RNY on 09/30/13

I'm heading in to have my gallbladder out this morning. I'm only 7 weeks post RNY.  They found by ultrasound that I have a huge stone sitting over the bile duct and that s what is causing this unbelievable pain. Have you had an ultrasound yet?  Wishing you luck getting to the bottom of this. I think the pain from the is worse than childbirth...lol.

kathie

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/19/13 11:58 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Thank you all for your kind words of empathy and encouragement! I really appreciate it kiss It makes me feel better, lol!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/20/13 12:01 am
I had a couple of painful gallbladder attacks as well. Not fun at all. I had it removed at two months post op and haven't had any trouble since. Good luck and speedy healing!

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

PetHairMagnet
on 11/20/13 1:30 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Oh my goodness, I am so, so sorry to read this! Sounds like a NIGHTMARE! Good for you for going in and being seen!!

I hope that you do figure things out very soon and don't have to endure an attack again.

HUGS TO YOU!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

setzme722
on 11/20/13 1:51 am

Oh I am so sorry. I dealt with gallbladder issues when I was pregnant 8 1/2 years ago. It was the worst pain of my life. I couldn't have mine out until after my son was born, so I lived with it for a total of 16 weeks. It was brutal. My sympathies are with you, and I hope they get it taken care of ASAP. FWIW, gallbladder removal is a piece of cake, recovery wise. Stay away from bananas. That was the trigger for the worst attack I ever had.

RNY 11/25/13. Highest weight 293, weight at start of RNY process 286, see ticker for progress!

Hypothyroid since birth (Synthroid 250mcg daily), PCOS (Metformin 1500 daily)  

thechief94
on 11/20/13 2:16 am - NC
thechief94
on 11/20/13 2:19 am, edited 11/20/13 2:19 am - NC

Had my gall bladder removed a few weeks ago, just under a year after my RNY. At first I thought it was some food getting "stuck," so I did what was recommended & expected relief within a short time. Wrong!

I never knew I could hurt that bad! The RNY and other surgeries paled in comparison...after 5 hours of complete agony I called my daughter (an EMT who was on duty) and asked if she would mind dropping by. One look, and she called her crew and did a rapid transport to the ER. My lipase level according to the doctor was 19,154 (normal 10-140); was told I was a sick puppy - yeah, no joke, doc! >.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 51 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?