Gallbladder removal

dessalves
on 1/17/14 9:48 am

I found out that I will probably have to remove my gallblader.removed. I am so annoyed that I will have to go through surgery again but I was told that I will have to go on a liquid diet again and that made me a little bit happier because I will lose more weight! Crazy, I know but I guess I should take the good out of a bad situation right?

Did you guys had to have this surgery as well? Because from my surgeon I am the third one (that I know of) that having this surgery. How was the surgery? What should I expect?

poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 9:57 am - OH

Why do you have to go on a liquid diet to have your gall bladder removed?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dessalves
on 1/17/14 10:05 am

I was told that it is because I won't be able to absorb greasy foods and I would have to readapt to food just like in the beginning of the surgery. This was not information from my doctor though, it is from a friend that had her gallbladder removed, so I might be mistaken.

poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 10:15 am - OH

It's not that you won't absorb greasy foods.  The gall bladder stores bile, which helps you digest fatty foods. When you eat something with lots of fat (which I'm guessing you aren't eating anyway since you had RNY), the gall bladder releases a bunch of bile to held digest it.  When you don't have a gall bladder, small amounts of bile are released into the digestive tract all the time but there is no extra bile when you eat something fatty, so eating fatty stuff may cause gas, bloating or diarrhea.

I've never heard of needing to be on a liquid diet after gall bladder surgery.  When I had mine removed, I was told to resume my  normal diet right away.

Even if you weren't able to absorb greasy foods, why would that mean you needed a liquid diet?  Couldn't you just eat solid food that is not greasy?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dessalves
on 1/17/14 10:50 pm

You are correct to assume that I am not eating fatty food, so I guess that my diet won't change that much after the surgery. I don't know what will happen, as I said before this information I got from a friend that had surgery not from a doctor, so my doctor might tell me to go on a normal diet. I'll keep you posted and tell you exactly what the doctor says after my appointment on Tuesday

poet_kelly
on 1/18/14 3:06 am - OH

Definitely ask your doc if they don't bring it up at your appt.  I hope the surgery is as easy for you as it was for me.  I was amazed at how easy it was and how quickly I recovered.  I took one dose of pain meds that night and by the next day I felt almost normal.  Just a very small amount of  discomfort when I moved certain ways.  But other than being careful when I got up and down and things like that, I was doing normal stuff the day after the surgery.  The only thing I couldn't do was my water aerobics class, until the incisions healed, but I was back in the pool in about ten days.

Calla Lily
on 1/17/14 10:15 am
RNY on 01/23/12

When I had my gallbladder removed it was just day surgery, laparoscopic, pretty uneventful. My only food related instructions were to not eat anything past midnight the night before. It was just food as usual when I was released after about 6 hours from the recovery room. I hope yours is as easy to recover from as mine was.

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views