Blood Thinner Question

Another Fatone
on 3/27/14 7:33 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I am 7 months out.

My Cardio Dr put me on Xaralto (blood thinner) to treat afib to reduce the risk of clots originating in the heart. My RNY surgeon Dr warned that a bleeding ulcer in the gut while on blood thinners could be deadly.

Both Drs said to discuss with the other. Before I make a decision I would like some input. Please don't suggest talking to the Dr ...I've already done that.

Thank you. 

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

mama2418
on 3/27/14 1:06 pm
RNY on 02/13/14

I am on blood thinner as well,but coumadin. I was on xarelto but my surgeon said there is no antidote to the xarelto. He said they can stop bleeding with Coumadin with vitamin K. Good luck 

"This too shall pass" and then we go shopping!   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/27/14 2:58 pm - OH

I have been on Coumadin since the late 1970s (!) and although a bleeding ulcer is MUCH more serious if you take an anticoagulant, it is still very unlikely to bleed so profusely that you would die from it before the problem was identified and could be fixed.  You would have symptoms not only of the ulcer itself (pain, etc.) AND would see evidence of blood in your stool long before you lost a lethal amount of blood.

It would, however, be extremely important that you 1) not take any NSAIDs for any reason unless the doctor knows about it and believes the need for it outweighs the significant risk of ulceration and bleeding, and 2) have any ulcer symptoms checked out right away.  

As the previous poster said, Coumadin may be a better option.  It does require regular monitoring (how often depends on how stable your levels are) but it produces the anticoagulation action via a different mechanism that is much easier to reverse if necessary.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Another Fatone
on 3/28/14 10:30 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi Lora

Thank you for the info.

The Cardio Dr also has me on 81mg coated aspirin for my 4 stents. I avoid other NSAIDS.  The RNY surgeon has me on Protonix 40 mg.

Any advise on an antiulcer diet?

Thanks again.

Harry

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

KennyBruin
on 3/28/14 6:43 am - MD

I, too, am on Xarelto for aFib.  My RNY Dr. knows this and has voiced no concerns to me, and I have had no adverse events.  I do have to avoid NSAIDs, which result in stomach pain after even small doses.  Xarelto works better for me than either Coumadin (varying levels of efffectiveness) or Pradaxa (severe stomach pain) that I had taken pre-RNY.  I believe that one's response to blood thinners is highly individual.  My father, for example, always eventually got alimentary canal bleeding from Coumadin - I have never had that problem.  There seem to be trade-offs with every available anti-coagulent therapy, so my thoughts are to work closely with your medical team to arrive at a therapy that works best for you, always remembering that YMMV from what works for me or other aFib patients.  All the best in your quest for an optimum result. 

Another Fatone
on 3/28/14 10:57 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi Kenny

I was out of range half the time on Coumadin. I do get purple stops and easy bruising from the Xarelto. My Cardio Dr said "If you think your blood is too thin skip a day...half life of Xarelto is 9 hours maybe less".

10-4 on the YMMV.

Thank you for the info.

Harry 

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

traviscantrell
on 3/28/14 8:55 am - Ridgefield, WA

Have  A/f for the 5 years, been on Xaralto for 3 years, Added 80 mgs of pantoprazior for ulcer. works like champ. Protects the stomach.

give it a try.

Travis Cantrell                                

Another Fatone
on 3/28/14 11:04 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi Travis

I am on 40mg Protonix. I'll ask the Dr if more would be better.

We are close in age. I am 69 years old. 7 months out. 90lbs down. How many lbs are you down?

Thank you for the info.

Harry   

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Another Fatone
on 3/28/14 10:28 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Thank you Mama

I was on Coumadin many years. Half the time I was out of range. I even had my own INR meter. So I was switched to the expensive Xarelto.

I had two MIs while on Coumadin and a series of TIA stokes. The Cardio Dr said they may have been worst had it not for the Coumadin.

Thanks again.

Harry   

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 249 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views