Calories for weight loss?

lynnski70
on 4/16/14 10:49 pm - Cottage Grove, MN

I will be 5 years out from my RNY this coming July.  I had put on about 15 lbs. and now trying to lose it since I could really tell in my clothes.  I am on www.fatsecret.com and counting my calories, but not sure how many I should be striving for each day to lose weight.  When I added my age (43) and weight (164) the default calories came up to 2000, but I changed it to 1800.  Most days I'm in the 1500 calorie range. Suggestions?

poet_kelly
on 4/16/14 11:01 pm - OH

How many calories have you been eating, when you gained 15 pounds?  To lose weight, you'll need to eat fewer calories than that.  And/or burn more calories by exercising than you have been burning.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pathchic
on 4/16/14 11:02 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Check out myfitnesspal, particularly the app- it will give you more individualized results, and you can track your nutritional intake and excercise to see how they contribute.  I use it to track nutrients and protein, I'm not at the stage where I am able to take in enough for any caloric info to be informative - but my husband (non-surgical weight loss, 20 lbs over 1 year) has used it with a lot of success, and has been able to maintain with it as a guide. It is a really well designed site, and the app rocks!

Good luck!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/16/14 11:15 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I also use myfitnesspal.com (and the app on my iPhone) -- but being only 4 months out -- I am not at the same place as you.  My naturally thin husband uses it with great success to make sure he is eating well and to watch calories.  It's been very accurate for him.  He drops and gains as it predicts.  My mother-in-law has recently been trying to lose weight (she has about 45 to lose) and has been very successful at losing 8 pounds over the past 4 weeks using the guidance of the site.  She loves it now.  She is only 5'1" and I was shocked to see that her recommended calories were only 1100!  

Anyhow, good luck!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

White Dove
on 4/16/14 11:34 pm - Warren, OH

To lose weight multiply your goal by 10.  Then subtract 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JJ0609
on 4/17/14 12:15 am, edited 4/17/14 12:15 am

WhiteDove, where are you getting your formula from? According to it I would need 700 calories to weigh 120 lbs.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

White Dove
on 4/17/14 12:50 am - Warren, OH

If your goal is 120, then you need 1200 calories.  At that low a weight it is probably not doable to be trying to lose a pound a week, subtract 250 calories and try for 1/2 pound a week.

dirks34
on 4/17/14 2:02 am
RNY on 10/31/12

So if you do this calculation do you factor in how much exercise you do in a day. Lets say I need to eat no more than 1200 calories a day to lose a pound a week but can I eat more because I walk 1 to 2 hours a day?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

Laura in Texas
on 4/17/14 5:00 am

Walking is great for your heart, but does very little to help you lose weight. You should not be eating those calories back.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 4/17/14 1:35 pm - Warren, OH

I have tried factoring in exercise.  Truthfully it never makes much difference.  The only thing that matters for me is calories.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 437 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 434 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 371 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views