herbalife shakes ok?

Jen Lyn
on 4/17/14 11:28 am, edited 4/17/14 11:28 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Do you know if they are as good as Bariessentials?  Are they as healthy? 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/14 11:46 am - OH

The only thing I know about the Herbalife protein supplements is that it is primarily soy protein (which we don't absorb quite as well as whey protein) and that it is expensive.

i have never heard of the other brand.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/17/14 11:49 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Here's a link to the Herbalife shakes nutrition information: Herbalife (scroll down a bit and click on the "View Herbalife's Nutrition Panel" line) and here's one of the Bariessentials shakes, the Bariessentials Pro. You can see that you get much more protein from the Bariessentials, at 20 gms per serving, versus the 9 grams for the Herbalife. That alone would make me go with the Bariessentials, if those were the only two choices out there.

Herbalife touts their shakes as being "meal replacements" rather than "protein supplements", so they say they don't worry about putting in more protein. You can do much better with other brands of protein shakes.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

White Dove
on 4/17/14 12:18 pm - Warren, OH

If you decide to try them, please ask for a free sample.  To me, soy protein smells and tastes like dry hay.  I had one sample of their shakes and thought they were terrible tasting. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

poet_kelly
on 4/17/14 12:34 pm - OH

You'd get almost as much protein from one cup of skim milk (eight grams in that) as from the Herbalife shakes and that would be a lot cheaper.  If you're going to use a protein shake, I'd pick one with at least 20 grams of protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladybug81
on 4/21/14 12:55 am

Following. My husband bought these herbalife shakes a while back for himself and didn't drink them. I was going to use them instead of throwing it away.

BWB
on 4/21/14 1:09 am

I have done research on HerbalLife and another diet company (can't remember the name that has nutrition in the name.  Anyway I am not sold on their business principal of money and sales first, research and development last.  It is my opinion that they are not the principal products on the market.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404