I guess I need to go back to shakes???

Bsheldon
on 4/22/14 10:48 am

I are a total of 146 calories today. This has been very similar to all of my meals this week. I am still on full-liquids/soft solids. However, my diet guide says to reduce protien supplements starting this week and to eliminate them completely as of next week. However, I see a lot of vets on there that still drinks protien supplements. I only got 10g of protien today. I would really like some advise!

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

poet_kelly
on 4/22/14 10:51 am - OH

How does your plan expect you to get enough protein at this stage?

I don't see how one could do that on full liquids without protein shakes.  I guess if you ate a lot of yogurt.  Three cups of Greek yogurt would give you over 60 grams or protein.  But most people on full liquids are only eating a couple ounces at a time.

If your plan doesn't make sense to you, call your registered dietician in the morning and ask for advice.  Personally, I don't think 146 calories and 10 grams of protein is a good idea.  I gather you didn't do any protein shakes today?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bsheldon
on 4/22/14 10:58 am

I actually haven't had a protien shake since surgery. It states in my diet to only drink them in week one if if feel hungry. In week two, wean off of them, week three no more protien supplements. 

I have heard a lot about these "nectors," can someone tell me where I can find them?

poet_kelly
on 4/22/14 11:03 am - OH

I think Vitamin Shoppe carries some flavors or you can order them online.

Your plan doesn't make sense to me.  Most people don't feel hungry the first week.  So you get no protein then, and then you"wean off" something you haven't even been using the second week?  And I can't imagine how anyone could get nearly enough protein the third week post op without using any protein supplements.

You need protein to heal.  I know some surgeons and dieticians discourage the use of protein shakes (and in doing so, encourage a very low protein diet for the first few weeks or more post op) but that just doesn't make sense to me. 

I know many patients that follow such a diet do OK, but I think most people would do better if they got adequate amounts of protein.  Just like most patients that eat cookies in the first few months post op do OK too, but people would do better without the cookies.  Just because it won't kill you doesn't mean it's good for you. 

I don't understand why some health care providers discourage patients from getting adequate amounts of protein.  I can't see how getting enough protein in the early weeks could possibly be harmful but I can see many ways in which it could be helpful.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bsheldon
on 4/22/14 11:03 am

BTW... My overnight oats have Greek yogurt, but otherwise I can't stand the stuff! LOL!

Ocalasam
on 4/22/14 10:56 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I am almost 17 months out and I still drink a shake almost daily.  I did, however, switch to the snack size shake!

MissyMe2
on 4/22/14 11:07 am

I haven't had surgery yet, but I have an information packet from the surgeon's office and it says that even right after surgery we should be getting 300 calories a day and it says getting less is dangerous to our health and won't make us lose any faster.  It also says we need 40g of protein every day even right after surgery. I have read that different doctors do things different but does your doctor have you eating that little or are you just not eating or drinking enough?

If you are only getting 150 calories a day it sounds like you need to keep drinking the protein shakes.  I would ask your doctor though if it is safe to eat so little.

Missy

Kimberly K.
on 4/22/14 11:19 am
RNY on 03/21/14

I am one month post op and have not felt hungry yet! From what I am reading, it takes quite a while for hunger to return. I agree with the vets, can't imagine getting enough protein without the shakes. Do you like cinnamon? I add a little shake of it to my plain nonfat greek yogurt and some splenda. Tastes pretty good!

Kim K.    

Bsheldon
on 4/22/14 11:46 am

To me Greek yogurt tastes like eating sour cream with a spoon... Ewey! LOL! Even the fruit ones! That's ok though, there are plenty of other things I can eat. The eating so few calories is just what I have eaten. LOL. I ate about an 1/8 of a cup of overnight oats, a 1/4 cup of FF cottage cheese, and a halo orange. I thought I was eating too much! Lots of water, no problem with getting my liquids!

JJ0609
on 4/22/14 10:10 pm, edited 4/22/14 10:26 pm

You need to look for Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt which has 80 calories and 13 grams of protein. I do not know about any others. But read the labels and compare sugars and proteins and get the one with the most protein and the least sugars. You can try Yoplait Light yogurts. They are not Greek and have a variety of flavors. I personally love the Very Cherry. But experiment. I would strongly recommend drinking protein shakes as well. 

I do not know what plan your doctor has you on but something does not sound right. I would call the office and have them go over it with you to ensure you are reading it correctly. It does not sound right. You must have more calories and more proteins. I would ask them about the protein shakes, too. They could be encouraging you to get your protein from food sources but they need to make that clear because you CANNOT do that on such low calories. GET THIS CLEARED UP before you put your body in jeopardy. Good luck!      

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 462 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?