Iron Rich Foods???

JJ0609
on 4/22/14 10:24 pm, edited 4/22/14 11:06 pm

What foods besides liver are iron rich foods? I need to get my iron up. Thanks!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Daisydoo02
on 4/22/14 11:58 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Sara, here is a pretty good list:

• Red meat
  • Egg yolks
  • Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
  • Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
  • Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
  • Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
  • Turkey or chicken giblets
  • Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
  • Liver
  • Artichokes

And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.

I take the brand name "Feramax 150" iron. It says on the box 150mg elemental iron.  The pharmacist at the Bariatric centre said that and the Feramax and the brand name "Fersol" iron tabs are the best for bariatric patients.  Just her opinion but I switched to Fermax a few weeks ago and I feel fantastic. I get labs done next month so will see if it has made a difference.  The pharmacist said I won't actually absorb the full 150mg due to the RNY so its not like its too much.  Just wanted to share what I am doing and it seems to be working.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

JJ0609
on 4/23/14 12:09 am, edited 4/23/14 12:13 am

Thanks a lot! Pam recommended Feosol carbonyl Iron yesterday. Is this the same one? Sorry to ask but do they make you constipated? I need all the help I can get right now as I am feeling pretty down and low! I am EMPTY and COLD ALL the time! I just don't feel right. I guess I need to focus more on my bodies needs and less on weight loss right now. I can still eat grilled chicken spinach salads. LOL! 

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Daisydoo02
on 4/23/14 1:58 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

No I am not constipated, yahoo!  I had bought some "Bariatric Advantage" Iron chewables a few months ago and they made me so constipated I thought I was going to die!!! I was so upset!  I stopped them after a few days and went right my centre and talked to the Pharmacist and she said Feramax or Feosol (yes same one as Pam suggested, I might have spelt it wrong, sorry).  

I have to say as well that by keeping my water intake high I don't have any problems going to the bathroom.  I drink one coffee a day (sometimes two on the weekends), I drink a lot of herbal tea in the evenings and at work I have access to a crushed ice machine/cold water so I have a large Contigo bottle that has 24 oz in it and I fill that up a few times a day.  So try one of those Iron pills, for me it was cost and that is why I went with the Feramax it was a touch cheaper. The Feramax is 30 pills for $20 (Canadian $$) and that lasts me a month because I take one a day when I take my multi and vit C.  I am sure its much cheaper in the US though!!

Good luck!!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Cunning_Pam
on 4/23/14 1:41 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Feramax and Feosol are not the same thing. I looked at the Feramax, as 150 mg of elemental iron is quite a bit more than the Feosol carbonyl I recommended. You may have a hard time finding the Feramax, as it seems to be only available in Canada. You may be able to mail order it from an online pharmacy, but I didn't look into it quite that much.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 225 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 374 views
Recent Topics