I would NEVER have been able to do this 7 years ago!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/25/14 10:29 pm - OH

I posted this on a private group last week, but wanted to share with the rest of you as well...

I had a very large Sweet Gum tree in my front yard cut down and had the mass of wild honeysuckle that ran the entire width of my backyard cut down a couple of weeks ago.  They left most of the Sweet Gum trunk and largest branches for me to get split for firewood (it has been occupying most of the second half of my driveway) and underneath the honeysuckle were the trunk sections of a tree I had cut down last year that also needed split (and needed moved so the landscaper can come in and create three new beds along the back).  I also had the farm fence that ran in between all the honeysuckle replaced with fencing that matches what I had in the rest of the yard, and added the final side of fencing since my neighbor's fence is falling apart.

As part of this major yard renovation, I did a bunch of yard work a couple weeks ago (including stacking a bunch of the wood from the branch pieces of the Sweet Gum tree) but in just two days last week, I did all of the following all by myself:

- carried and/or rolled eleven 12-15 inch long and 12-20 inch diameter tree trunk sections (and some smaller pieces) across the backyard, up a 3 ft incline near the house, and into the side yard (the guy's log splitter wouldn't fit thru my gate to get to where the backyard woodpile was)

- dug up and replanted six clumps of daffodils and a couple of small iris that were along the new fence line

- sprayed RoundUp on some errant honeysuckle shoots that were encroaching into the flower bed

- dug up and cut roots on some honeysuckle that couldn't be sprayed (too near flowers)

- moved and stacked a dozen stepping stones

- planted a bareroot rose bush

- removed several branches on two large lilac bushes (in the way of new side fence)

- dug up and cut roots on dozens of lilac suckers that refused to go away

- trimmed a cottage rose bush, a dwarf lilac bush, and two flowering almond bushes

- used a shovel to shave down some "high spots" of dirt and then moved (and stamped in) the dirt to underneath one 6-foot fence section where the ground dipped down leaving a 4 inch gap between the bottom of the new fence and the ground (enough room for the puppy to get out)

- added dirt to the hill on the backside of the above section of fence and then positioned some honeysuckle branch logs and small rocks on the hill (all to keep the dirt I added under the fence from just washing down the hill)

- stacked what ended up being almost a full cord of firewood (it would have been a full cord if I had not run out of space to put it all (someone will be coming to get the pieces I don't have room for and the sections of tree I didn't even pay to have split because I knew I didn't have room!)

- gathered up small pieces of wood, wood chips/shavings, and large detached bark pieces to use as kindling

I could NOT have done most of this at over 330 pounds with two bad knees (well, ok, the trimming/pruning and moving of the flowers... but it would have taken me 2 days just to do THOSE tasks)!  With my second knee replacement being only 5 months ago, I was shocked that I was able to move those large sections of tree trunk!  The fence guy moved the largest section for me because it had two branch "stubs" and wouldn't roll and I couldn't even begin to pick it up.

Even better: I was afraid that I would be so stiff and sore that I wouldn't be able to even get out of bed the next morning.  Yes, My knees and back were very stiff at first, and I had some mild soreness, but once I got moving, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected!  

THIS is the best reward of having had WLS! To be able to do all of that and not be immobile the next day is incredible to me!  I was, however, asleep before 9:30pm the second night, slept until the dogs got me up at 6:30, and then went back to bed for an hour.  (Hey, I'm over 50... I was tired!)  I also had a nap later that day...

The new fence looks great, the nursery came and planted my new yellow magnolia and I have started adding other (smaller) flowers and shrubs. By summer, I should have some other trees, plants, and flowers in and it should look realty nice.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kimberly K.
on 4/25/14 10:48 pm
RNY on 03/21/14

Wow. You just prove that we are strong and given the right tool and self determination, we can move mountains!....or lots of wood and dirt! You must feel incredible!

Kim K.    

Cunning_Pam
on 4/25/14 11:25 pm, edited 4/25/14 11:25 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

I got tired just reading everything you'd done! I understand your enjoyment in your physical abilities; it must feel great to look around your yard and know that you've made it look so nice. What a great metaphor, too: As you cultivated and improved your health and your body, now you can cultivate and enjoy your surroundings. Kudos!

(Oops, responded to Kim, should be a response to Lora!)

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

tdbull
on 4/26/14 1:12 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
That is a ton work. You should be super proud and feel accomplished that you did all of that yourself. Very motivating for me to get out there and physically work on my yard this Spring. Congrats.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

MyLady Heidi
on 4/26/14 7:48 am

Congrats.  Sounds like tons of work.  Lets see pics when you get your landscaping finished.  I remember when we did my front yard it was amazing to see the transformation, landcaping makes such a huge difference in the curb appeal of your property.

karenp8
on 4/26/14 8:41 am - Brighton, IL

Sounds like you have been one busy lady! I have spent the last couple weekends helping pull tile up up at church. I couldn't have done that 2 years ago either. It sure feels great! I can't wait to get veggies planted in my garden this year. Now I can actually bend over and still breathe!!

SkinnyScientist
on 4/26/14 9:03 am

Awesome!  Isnt awesome when we can compare and contrast and KNOW that we did the right thing?  Keep up the great work!!! For me, I am working toward a 4 out 5 star hike up a mountain with rock scrambles. I am nervous as the hike is 5 hours.. But it is something that I WANT to do that I wasnt able to do before!

Your yard sounds amazing!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Babbs1020
on 4/27/14 3:23 am

Great Job! Feels good to be NORMAL HUH?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views