Oh... so THAT's the secret

pathchic
on 4/24/14 3:58 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Two similar experiences from the last week -

First, the custodial lady who cleans my office came by to say hello, and finds me adding some protien powder to my coffee, and exclaims, "Oh, so THAT's your secret"

Second, I was working out at the gym with my trainer, and a colleague was on the treadmill, and when I stopped to say hello, she winks and says, "Now I know your secret to weight loss"

What makes these events truly weird is that I have not kept my surgery or life changes a secret - in fact I have had conversations with both of these individuals about what I have chosen to do and the changes I have made.

Got me thinking about myself... I have spent so much time and energy looking for "the secret".  I am a rational, well educated woman for crying out loud, but I was always searching.  I tried every fad diet out there, and a few that I made up on my own.  Will never forget my infamous caffiene diet - I don't think I blinked for like 3 days.  Or the time when I special ordered these herbal supplements that I suspect were grass clippings (they certainly tasted like it) that made my hayfever go beserk.

Or, probably my most ridiculous, the time when I tried to take up smoking to curb my appetite.  My boyfriend at the time (now my husband of 20 years) told me I was insane and if I didn't quit he'd break up with me.  AND, though I was actually pissed off at him, I decided to quit because it aggravated my asthma (go figure).

What has the WLS process done for me?  It has freed me.

So here's my thought provoking question of the day - what was your stupidiest diet?  Surely I couldn't have been the only delusional obese person on the planet. Can you top me?  I have set the ridiculous bar pretty freaking high... do your worst -

Lisa87
on 4/24/14 4:07 am
RNY on 12/13/13

I like how you said WLS has freed you because I feel exactly the same way.

Lisa87 

5'4"

BlackRoseRNY
on 4/24/14 4:08 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

I once tried the "sleeping beauty" diet.  Whenever I was hungry I just went to  sleep.  It lasted 12 hours because by then I dove into a rack of bbq ribs and curly fries.  

poet_kelly
on 4/24/14 4:19 am - OH

Wow.  If I went to sleep every time I got hungry, I'd never get anything done!  I'd be sleeping 20 hours a day like my cat does.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BlackRoseRNY
on 4/24/14 4:33 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

Lol! But all in all, HORRIBLE diet choice.  

Kimberly K.
on 4/24/14 4:27 am
RNY on 03/21/14

That is too funny!  I used to try to go to sleep too but woke up hungry every time.

Kim K.    

BlackRoseRNY
on 4/24/14 4:34 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

My stomach didn't know how to keep quiet either lol

poet_kelly
on 4/24/14 4:18 am - OH

Once a coworker and I (I was a nursing assistant, she was a registered nurse) did this three day diet that was supposed to make you lose 10 pounds in three days.  You got to eat an apple, an orange and a hard boiled egg three times a day for three days.  Maybe it would have worked if I hadn't eaten a bunch of pizza on the second day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pippin2013
on 4/25/14 12:22 am

Waysta
on 4/24/14 4:40 am - TX

One time I actually had my mouth wired shut.....on the third day, I got a stomach bug and threw up....not good, not good !!!

Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics