Disappointed!

mimiof2wins
on 4/26/14 1:02 pm - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

We had a birthday party for my twin granddaughters today. While I was cleaning up, I ate some chocolate buttercream frosting from the bottom of the cake plate. Probably 2-3 tablespoons worth. I have always had trouble controlling my sweet tooth, or should I say sweet fang and was hoping that sweets would make me dump.  The frosting didn't make me dump and I am disappointed because I was hoping that dumping would help me control my cravings for sweets.

Ladytazz
on 4/26/14 1:19 pm

Didn't your surgeon inform you that only about 30% of RNYers actually dump?  So you are in the majority of patients that don't dump.

You want to know how to control your cravings for sweets?  Don't eat them because eating them is what causes the cravings.  After you get them out of your system the cravings should at least subside to a manageable level.  That is why I avoid them completely, because once I let that genie out of the bottle there is no telling if or when I can get it back in.  It is much easier to not eat them then it is to try to eat just a little and not want more.

That isn't to say I don't indulge my sweet tooth, I just do it with sugar free things like pudding and protein ice cream.  Those things satisfy my cravings without creating more cravings.  I truly believe I am physically addicted to refined carbs like sugar and flour so I just avoid them.  So far, going on 4 years now, I haven't had any uncontrollable cravings for those things.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/14 1:58 pm

I'd say be grateful, I dump on everything. Even natural sugars in fruits and vegetables. I literally have to check everything three times over just to make sure I won't get sick and sometimes I still do anyway! 

mimiof2wins
on 4/26/14 2:11 pm - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

Yes, I should be grateful. I was just hoping the threat of dumping might help.

MrsLitch
on 4/26/14 3:16 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

The threat is still there trust me. I had some ice cream cake at my son's party the first year out, the kind from DQ with the fudge and oreo crunch stuff inside. I ate it was fine and thought well crap! About a year out I was at a wedding, (I'm a photographer so had worked 8 hours) and wedding cupcakes came out, I was hungry the meat was too dry to eat and I was out of jerky so I thought hell, I'll have half the cup cake. Good thing I was off an hour later because I wasn't sure I could make it home, pulled over 3 times in the 25 min drive home, sweating, dizzy, sick feeling. By the time I got home my husband carried me from the car to bed and I laid there wishing to die. During my second year I've had sweets one time and fine next time not on and off with not a lot of rhyme or reason, needless to day frosting and cake products are a no go for me. I don't want to play russian roulette with my gut.

Keep that in mind the next time you think about indulging

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

TattooMammaRN
on 4/27/14 3:27 am

I know what you mean. I was also hoping that dumping would help me to not eat sugar. We'll, I don't dump on sugar either.y doctor did not tell me that only 30% of people dump on sugar. In fact I was sure it was going to be the one side effect I did have. I also believe that I am addicted to sugar and carbs also. I try to avoid them but I have a husband and 3 teenagers. That stuff is always around!!!

poet_kelly
on 4/26/14 8:18 pm - OH

Apparently the threat of dumping did not help.  You knew you might dump but ate the frosting anyway.

Now, I don't know how much sugar was in the amount of frosting you ate.  You might dump on more sugar than that.  I don't know.

But what you're learned is that the threat of that does not keep you from eating sweets.  So you'll need to learn other ways to control yourself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 4/26/14 9:30 pm, edited 4/26/14 9:31 pm - Warren, OH

I would not dump from a few tablespoons of frosting and might not dump if I ate the whole bowl.  But there are times when I eat something and dump.  For me it is mindless eating on an empty stomach.  Last Halloween I came home from work at 10:00 PM and there was a bowl of miniature Tootsie Rolls on the coffee table.  I was tired and sat down and watched TV before fixing myself some dinner.

A short time later, my heart was pounding, I was dizzy and sweating and realized that I had mindlessly been eating the candy.  I got up and managed to get the rest of the candy into the garbage, then laid down until it passed.  Don't give up on the prospect of dumping.  It did not happen to me until I was years out.  I get more sensitive to sugar every year.

Dumping does not take away my craving for sweets.  Only staying away from sugar helps with that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AnneGG
on 4/26/14 10:18 pm, edited 4/26/14 10:21 pm

I only dump on ice cream, which is a good thing because that was my go-to substance before surgery. I also do carb coma big time, which isn't a good thing if I am away from home.

I also don't think dumping is a good way to control oneself- it is awfully hard on the body.

So, as poet_kelly says, you're going to have to learn ways to manage yourself rather than your cravings managing you. I do think we all need to experiment, though, to find out what works for us.

I'm a sugar addict, can't do moderation well, so I just try to not go there.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Fireed
on 4/26/14 11:24 pm

Thank you for posting.  I liked reading everyone's responses too.  I am 4 weeks post op, and I didn't know. I just feel better knowing what to expect.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views