Protein bars and net carbs

ReginaPhelange
on 4/26/14 1:00 pm
RNY on 02/24/14

Help!  I have been wanting to try protein bars but I am a bit overwhelmed.   I look at the box see the carbs on the label and think way to many... Then the from of the box has net carbs that are less than what is on the nutrition label   What the heck are net carbs? When did you start on protein bars? What protein bars do you eat?

RNY 2/24/14. HW 274ish. SW 259 GW 135

Ladytazz
on 4/26/14 1:14 pm

From what I understand, net carbs are the amount of carbs after you subtract the carbs that come from fiber and sugar alcohols.  So if an item has 10 grams of carbs, of which 5 are from fiber and 2 are from sugar alcohols then the net carbs would be 3.  Personally I don't trust those numbers and I just assume if it says it has 10 grams of carbs then it has 10 grams of carbs.

As far as protein bars, my favorites are Atkin's Mudslide, Quest bars and Think thin bars.  I don't have them a lot, I just keep them handy in case I need a quick snack on the run.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Jillzsassy
on 4/26/14 1:14 pm - Parma, ID

I have tried and enjoy Quest bars. In talking to my nutritionist, she said this is a good choice. I buy them at GNC. I hope this helped you out a little. Good luck

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/26/14 1:48 pm

My body reacts to some of the carbs that some manufactures try to tell us that they should not affect us. 

I don't trust the "net carbs".  

Google " dreamfield pasta settlement ".. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/14 10:26 pm

I feel ill after eating some protein bars.Not from the sugar alcohols.I felt horrible.

tdbull
on 4/26/14 2:16 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I eat Quest Bars, but only a few flavors. You need to look at each flavor for total calories, some are over 200 per bar, and added sugar alcohols. I eat the Choc Brownie, no added sugar alcohols, but I also eat the Choc PB and Double Choc Chip, both have added sugar alcohols, which does make me nauseas, but nothing I can't live with for 30-60 minutes. Carbs appear high in all of them - but when I label shop, I look primarily for protein, fat and sugar. I likely eat too many carbs cuz I eat 1-3 of these Quest bars a day, but I am now in maintenance and this seems to be working for me.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

White Dove
on 4/26/14 9:39 pm - Warren, OH

The original Quest Bars like Chocolate Brownie are the only ones I eat.  I do buy into the net carbs claim, but may get proven wrong someday.  For me, they taste good, do not make me dump, and a good substitution for a meal.  I do count carbs and calories, but allow myself about 150 carbs a day. 

For me 200 calories counts as a meal.  I eat five or six meals a day and keep them at 200 - 300 calories each with total calories per day at 1400 to maintain 136 pounds.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Wrenegade
on 4/26/14 10:18 pm

I've probably tried them all. Quest bars are my favorite. Best protein count, supposedly lower carb. My #1 fav is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough at 190 cals per bar. BUT... even 4+ years out, I do dump a bit on these sometimes. I also question the concept of net carbs/net cals, because I recently used these bars as meal replacements on a road trip. Eating 4-5 a day (bars only - nothing else.) This should have kept me well under 1000 cals a day, but I gained 3 pounds in 4 days! I feel the bars provide way more calories than stated. Maybe it's just my super-recovered absorbption, but I'd say be careful with these.

Wren    
5'7.5" - HW 265 - SW 220 - CW 103

dee317
on 4/26/14 10:40 pm

My nut told us not to do the net carb thing that a carb is a carb. I personally don't do the bars. I just do shakes IF I'm low on my protein.  Dee

JJ0609
on 4/26/14 11:07 pm

The total carbs minus the fiber gives you the net carbs. I started on protein bars when solid foods were introduced. I introduced various bars from Walmart then I learned about better more nutritious bars like Quest. You can request samples from them on www.questbar.com. I am almost five years out and still eat them daily for supplements. I enjoy them that much. I actually crave them. LOL!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?