PreOp diet?

MissyMe2
on 4/27/14 3:31 pm

My surgeon's group requires that we do one of two pre-surgery diet plans for people who are my weight: either a two week low fat, low sugar, low carb diet (that doesn't leave much to eat, does it?) and then a third week of all liquids right before surgery or two weeks of all liquids.

For those who have had their surgery already, if you had this choice, which would you choose that would be most helpful after surgery?  My surgeon has patients do one week of liquids (clear then full liquids) and then one week of puréed foods, then a week of soft foods like eggs, cottage cheese, and stuff.

I want to do what will be most helpful to me in the long run, but I need some of you who have had similar eating plans after surgery to tell me which one they think would be best.

I kinda think that maybe it doesn't matter much since I won't have to do too much liquids and stuff before I get real food again.

Thank you!

Missy

Cunning_Pam
on 4/27/14 11:03 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

I found Isopure RTD drinks to be a lifesaver after surgery. It's a clear protein drink you buy already mixed, kind of like Gatorade. I found it at GNC. Some people dislike the taste, I found the fruit punch flavor to be quite palatable.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Mizzy1485
on 4/27/14 11:13 pm

Hey Missy hope your getting excited for your program! I am officially 7 days post op and I feel GREAT today. I'm officially down 10lbs!! Honestly, I could probably go back to work but the full liquid diet is very challenging. I am taking one more week off until I'm into pureed foods. You will be on 2 weeks of full liquids post op and let me tell you it is VERY challenging to meet all of the protein and liquid requirements. I am literally not hungry and I fear that I am not getting all the calories and liquids/proteins that I need. I really have to remind myself to stick to the prescribed schedule so practice, practice, practice! It literally takes me 1 hour to drink 4-5 oz of milk....Can you imagine?! Thankfully I have not experienced any nausea since I've been home. I was prepared before surgery, setting up a comfy environment for when I came home (make sure all of your electric devises, and everything you want is within reach, it will be very difficult to bend and pick things up off the floor). I gathered all of the food and recipes I needed prior.

In regards to your diet choice, your liver will thank you if you did a full liquid diet for 2 weeks, however I know I wouldn't have been able to do it pre surgery. Just being honest. Pre op I felt like I was hungry ALL OF THE TIME. During the journaling portion I realized that I was eating a lot in between meals. Your full liquid diet will be much easier post op because you don't feel hungry. I had to force myself to eat last week. 

That being said, make sure you stick to whatever diet plan you pick and journal everything. They put you on a strict diet pre op because it trains your brain to make the right choices for after surgery. More importantly, these diets will make your liver smaller and you are less likely to experience problems during surgery with a smaller liver! 3 days before surgery my family decided to just kill me by bringing home pizza and my favorite wings....., I was like REALLY?! But knowing that I could actually hurt myself during surgery by eating that stopped me! 

You said,

"either a two week low fat, low sugar, low carb diet (that doesn't leave much to eat, does it?)" You still have TONS of food choices/recipes the problem is we were so accustomed to eating unhealthy for such a long period of time we just haven't explored the many many healthy options and recipes that are out there. Practice, practice practice! I have about 20 recipes now on PINTREST which has been a life saver for me. 

I am still on a full liquid diet and this is my morning so far:

6-8 am 8 oz of water

8-10am cream of wheat (sugar free/original flavor) with 2/3c fat free milk, hazelnut flavoring (torani sugar free) added a little extra water to liquify and 1/2 packet of splenda. YUMM

I wish you the best of luck!! You have chosen a path that leads to a healthier you! 

jazzycatz
on 4/27/14 11:48 pm - Joppa, MD

My surgeon requires a 2 week all liquid diet. The first 2 days were rough. Then on day 3 it's like your body realizes that it is not getting solids so it turns off the constant hunger. That helped.

It wasn't easy but I wouldn't say it was hard either. But I was lucky. My husband was able to make his dinner and eat before I got home. And I had to stay far far away from the TV. Too much food on TV. I took it one liquid meal at a time. The last couple of days I was nervous about surgery so I wanted to stress eat but I made it.

You might be able to do 2 liquid meals and then have a low cal/low sugar/low carb dinner. My surgeon does give that option to some patients.

Given the choice at the time imagine I would have taken the food option. Knowing what I know now I am kinda glad I did the liquids. 

Just stick to it whatever you choose.  One meal at a time...you can do it!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics