knee pain still

browneyes65
on 4/28/14 1:25 am - IN

I had knee pain before surgery because all the weight issues but now I lost 50 lbs I still have it. When I had x-ray 6 months ago they said my knees look fine. Is there a different test to show more extensive if my knees are worn down ? I getting shooting pains even up my side to my knee.

Tanya S.
on 4/28/14 3:06 am
RNY on 03/25/14

I too had serious knee pain before surgery. In fact my orthopedic doctor recommended WLS before we did knee replacements. I have found while loosing weight helped some with the knee pain, it hasn't completely resolved the pain. However, consistent exercise has relieved even more of the pain. I do biking whenever I can and leg exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knees if I can't bicycle. A combination of these has really helped with the knee pain. I haven't used my cane in weeks!  I hope you can find a combination that will help relieve your pain. I am still amazed when I can actually stand up and walk without crippling pain.

Racewalker48
on 4/28/14 2:12 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

Since you had X rays 6 months ago, it may be time to re-check.  I have osteoarthritis in both knees and hips.  My orthopedic surgeon suggested WLS before knee surgery.  Unfortunately, my knee caps were already bone on bone.  I just had a partial knee replacement and now am pain free.   While weight loss can relieve the stress on the knee, if there is significant loss of cartilage, you may not be able to completely avoid pain even after weight loss.   

To answer your question, sometimes an MRI is done to get a better look at the knee.  It is a much more expensive test, and some insurance companies require prior authorization (justification). Not sure who did your X-rays, I would suggest that you consult with an orthopedic surgeon if you haven't already. 

browneyes65
on 4/28/14 3:06 pm - IN

thanks !

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 261 views