Celiac Disease after bypass???

twooten
on 4/29/14 3:46 pm, edited 4/29/14 4:04 pm - Loveland, CO

I have been in the ER 2 times in a week and 3 sets of lab work done.... each time my iron level has dropped... docs have diagnosed me with iron deficiency anemia. Well my doc thinks there is a source of why im anemic, so they did an EGD today and NO ulcers or bleeds were found but doc biopsied 3 sites and doing a test for celiac disease. 

Alot of the signs symptoms match the disease and I would be shocked if she said test was negative. 

My question is does any one on here have this and how hard is it to follow the gluten free lifestyle? Im 3 1/2yrs post op

Tami HW: 288 / SW: 273 / SG: 187 GOAL REACHED / PG: 160
yankeescl
on 4/29/14 9:16 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Hi!

I do not have Celiac disease, but my husband was diagnosed 10 years ago and has lived the gluten free lifestyle faithfully for all of those 10 years.  The RNY way of eating (protein forward, low carb) is perfect for eating gluten free.  There are so many new gluten free items in the stores, and a lot of every day products have the labeling.  Ten years ago, shopping and cooking gluten free was a long tedious task.  Times have changed drastically and just about everything is labeled appropriately.  Some restaurants have gluten free offerings and Disney, SeaWorld and Universal Studios theme parks are Celiac aware.  Good luck!

siberiancat
on 4/30/14 2:44 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I am 5 years post RNY.  I am also anemic.  I have not been diagnosed celiac but my saliva & stool tests cames back with allergy to gluten.  I've been gluten free for almost 2 years.  It is not difficult since I focus on whey isolate protein,  protein from meat/eggs/cheese, etc.,, vegetables & fruit.  There are many gluten-free junk foods that are full of calories but little nutrition (bread, pasta,crackers, cake, cookies, muffins, etc.) & i stay away those and from white flour, sugar, pasta, bread anyway.

My son also must be gluten free - so for special days I make gluten free cake with all organic ingredients - but normally stay away from desserts because I have problems with reactive hypoglycemia and my blood sugar gets really low - so I only have "sweets" with a meal including protein, fat and veggies.

We can do most anything if we "choose" to.  I'm glad to be at goal and healthy - even though I have many food restrictions.  A small inconvenience for being healthy.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 178 views