6 weeks out...Up 8 pounds

everlasting
on 4/30/14 10:27 am

Help me out here. I just don't understand it. I've been in an awful state of depression for the last 3 days because I have been gaining instead of losing! I did not start soft foods until 5 weeks post op. I was hospitalized for dehydration and an incision infection. I had to have an upper endoscopy since I was unable to keep water down while in the hospital. Since I've been home I have been eating fine. I measure and weigh all of my foods and eat protein first. I am getting in 48 oz of water each day. I am not breaking any "rules".

I would not be concerned for a stall. I know that they will happen and I'm not concerned about them. I plan to call my surgeon tomorrow but I wanted to see if anyone has been through this before. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sherrie P.
on 4/30/14 12:05 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Stay off the scale.  It will make you insane.

48 ounces is not enough liquid according to my plan.

Your body freaks out when it is trying to heal. Seriously, follow the plan and put the scale in the closet. You will keep losing. You really will. It is not a race.

Good luck.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

everlasting
on 4/30/14 12:25 pm

I am taking your advice. Im backing off the scale. My last appointment had me at 199 today I am 209 but i'm going to keep pressing forward 

ecm1109
on 4/30/14 12:20 pm

I was hospitalized and had a endoscope as well.  I gained15lbs in two days from all the fluids.  Just stick to the plan, you will lose.

everlasting
on 4/30/14 12:26 pm
On April 30, 2014 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, ecm1109 wrote:

I was hospitalized and had a endoscope as well.  I gained15lbs in two days from all the fluids.  Just stick to the plan, you will lose.

thank you for the input 

sBob
on 4/30/14 2:04 pm

Remember that you also fluctuate weight during the day. If you're not getting enough water then your body will hold onto what it has. More water, more loss.

new_me180
on 4/30/14 2:18 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I'm sorry to hear that. I too have noticed that after every admission i gain weight. I had surgery last October and i've been hospitalized four times due to minor complications. Every time i gain weight. First time i gained 10 lbs, 2nd time 6 lbs, 3rd time 7 lbs and my recent admission i gained 8 lbs. I used to get so upset at this and the nurse told me not to worry as it was fluids. In my case, it takes a few weeks to get rid of the excess fluids. What i've noticed as well is that, prior to my admissions, i eat next to nothing to the point where i lost 10 lbs before my last admission in one week and when i got discharged,i felt better and i started eating normally my measured portions. The fact that i was in starvation mode before and then start eating again kind of made my body hang on to every calorie. I think when the body is healing, it kind of slows things down. Don't worry, you'll lose the weight and pls stay of the scales, it will drive you batty.

Manny32
on 5/1/14 12:20 am - miami, FL
RNY on 04/08/14

it will go up  and down but yo will lose weight dont give up and keep going.

jefferytmc
on 5/1/14 12:57 am

As others have suggested, it is water weight.

Many do not really think about how much water affects us (both up and down).  a 16 oz bottle of water weighs about 1lb.  So the half gallon of water that we are supposed to drink minimum each day is 4lbs of water.  When in the hospital, they are pumping fluids into you, and each bag is about 2lbs of water, so depending on how much you are expelling as to how much you gain during the stay.

Also, we are 50-75% water.  So on my 380lb body, that means I am 190lbs of water, that is insane.  But as has been suggested, drinking less water causes your body to hold on to it.  One article I read said just 2-3% less water makes us thirsty.  So water has a huge impact on us, but we have to get in our water to keep our bodies in balance.

So hang in there, drink your water and watch the lbs melt off.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

NHwahine
on 5/1/14 11:49 am
RNY on 06/30/14

It definitely sounds like water weight to me.  Think about it this way, when you are admitted to the hospital your body is like a dried out sponge. In the hospital, they give you fluids and you come back up to your hydrated weight. A wet sponge weighs more than a dry sponge, but it isn't any larger. Eventually your body will reach its hydration equilibrium and you will see the scale move again.  I haven't had the surgery yet, but I know from years and years of crash dieting and needing to drop 10 lbs fast for a weigh-in that dehydration can give you a "false" low weight that shoots up staggeringly quickly, but it's not truly a "gain", it's a return to normal. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 82 views
Recent Topics