BEGINNER, but ready

tspatterson
on 5/1/14 7:01 am

I am new to this site  but anxious to meet everyone. I am on my journey to weight loss surgery. I am determined to make goals, meet them and exceed them. Can anyone tell me about their experience with obesity or weight loss surgery? NO chaser please, I want to know the good and bad.

karenp8
on 5/1/14 7:55 am - Brighton, IL

I had gastric bypass surgery August 29,2012 after being overweight or obese my whole life. When I started my journey In weighed over 260 pounds and wore a tight size 24 clothes. I had knee and back pain every day,uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills,high cholesterol and diabetes. I couldn't walk down a flight of stairs without stopping to catch my breath. My surgery was done laproscopically and I had three tiny incisions and very little pain except for fas pain post op. I stayed one night in the hospital and came home a bit sore but very able to stay by myself. I began following my doctors directions and exercising as soon as I was released to. Most of my exercise is daily walking and riding a stationary bike with some light strength training a couple times a week. By three months post op I had lost 55 pounds and at six months I had lost 96.5 pounds and wore a size 6 in pants. At my one year checkup I weighed 123 and wore a size 0. I didn't know there was such a size before! Best of all I no longer have diabetes or high cholesterol and am off those meds. My blood pressure is now great on one blow dose blood pressure pill. And I can walk 4 miles easily at a very fast pace and still be able to breathe. I can now get out and do anything I want to and feel like a new person. I love to shop now and find all kinds of cute clothes that fit perfectly. I still exercise nearly every day and measure my food when I am at home. I eat three meals of about one up of food each and two small protein snacks each day and have had no complications from my surgery. I wish I had done this sooner instead of wasting so many years as an obese person!

tspatterson
on 5/1/14 8:45 am

Wow! Congratulations. Now that's inspirational. I really appreciate you sharing with me. I must admit that weight has always been a problem for me, and I was always the "one with the pretty face". I hung out with the popular crowd in high school because they choose me, but I later learned it was all to keep attention on them. I am so ready for my transitions. I will finally have the chance to wear all white without shame or fear! Im ready to run my first marathon. I know I can do it and please stay in contact.

sarah D.
on 5/1/14 9:24 am - CO
RNY on 03/24/14
On May 1, 2014 at 2:01 PM Pacific Time, tspatterson wrote:

I am new to this site  but anxious to meet everyone. I am on my journey to weight loss surgery. I am determined to make goals, meet them and exceed them. Can anyone tell me about their experience with obesity or weight loss surgery? NO chaser please, I want to know the good and bad.

Hi right now i have server sleep apnea i stop breathing every 30 sec. i also have asthma and can't do anything without needing my inhaler. my back and knees hurt almost all the time.i started in June of last year because i am on medicaid i had to do a 6 month weight loss program. i did the opti fast program. i started out at 310. after the program i weighed 286. when i went into surgery i was 263. i had 5 surgical incisions. the surgery went great. i stayed in he hopital for 2 days because they had problems with getting the pain under control. for 3 weeks i had pain when drinking but that went away. I am 4 weeks out and weigh 228. i still have problems getting in my liquids in just because never have been a big drinker. i eat about 1/4 of an egg and some times i get in a protein shake in the morning. i have a hard time also with eating just because i have to wait 30 min before eating and 1 hour after because i get sick if i don't wait after. i have alot more energy now. i went back to part time work after 2 weeks. i just had to buy new clothes because mine didn't fit that well and i loved it. it is great to see the scale go down every week. when is your journey starting or started?

tspatterson
on 5/3/14 7:15 am

Trust and believe Sarah D., I understand all too well. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea while getting my clearances done!!Wow, was I shocked. I had no idea how significant sleep apnea really was until now. I definitely do not want to continue adding co morbids, that's why I've elected to get the bypass done. Crossing my fingers and praying it will be done & soon! My 42nd birthday is in September and I want to wear ALL white for the first time in 20+ years! Continued luck to you

Cunning_Pam
on 5/1/14 10:47 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Welcome to OH! There is a wealth of information here to help you reach your goals. I'd suggest you go back through the forum postings and read, read, read. There's also a search function, so if you have a specific question or want to know more about a particular topic you can look for it by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner. This is a good place to look for information about things like "pre op diet" "3 week stall" "how much protein" etc. You can also feel free to post with specific questions, as well, of course!

So I'm assuming you're looking into RnY surgery. Where are you in that process? 

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

tspatterson
on 5/3/14 7:06 am

Hey! I thought I'd replied to you but apparently something went wrong. But Yes, to answer your question. I'm looking forward to my bypass. I'm almost there. I have my nutrition consult, my EGD, & proof of a support group(s). Thank for all your advise. I'm learning a lot from reading the forums and blogs.i know it's a lifestyle change and I'm fully prepared. I've carried this weight along with other "weight" too long. Time to do something for me! 

Lori W.
on 5/3/14 11:38 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

Welcome! RNY in 9 days for me! This site is great. Do use the search function, I did one for which blender to buy. There were tons of postings and I still can't decide.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?