couple of questions

ladygodiva1228
on 5/11/14 10:49 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

So I got my approval to have my lap band removed and have only two more appointments to finish up so my doctor can submit everything to get approval for the bypass.  He said he can do both at the same time which will be a good thing.  Really hoping to  get the revision done in July or August at the latest.

Now my questions. 

Do any of you take adult gummie vitamins?  I'm not that crazy about taking pills never have been. 

What's the best brand and type of protien?  Like whey, soy, etc.

Thanks,

Jenn

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Blackbird1987
on 5/11/14 10:56 pm

Hi Jenn! Congratulations! 

I was told by my NUT that I was not supposed to take gummies because they don't absorb as well so I take chewable vitamins. I chew them up really well in my mouth and then swallow and I am all set :) I also have a sublingual B12 that I take that melts under my tongue and the calcium desolves in water and then later you can swallow it if you'd like. 

I am not a good person to ask about protein because I have yet to find protein powders that I like or that work well for me. They all make me feel gross and taste awful and I have tried them all :( Good luck! 

poet_kelly
on 5/11/14 10:59 pm - OH

I haven't seen any gummy multis that have more than half the nutrients we need, so they are a poor choice.  I haven't seen any gummy calcium citrate, only tricalcium phosphate, which we can't absorb, so those are a poor choice, too.

The reality is, you will need to take a lot of vitamins after RNY.  I take two multivitamins, six calcium citrate pills, 12 iron pills and two vitamin C pills every day.  Three times a week I also take D3 and vitamin A and twice a week I also take zinc.  I take B12 shots every other week.  If you aren't prepared to take a lot of vitamins, this is not the surgery for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/12/14 12:19 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I know there are alot of vitamins that are needed after the RNY and if I have to take them in pill forms I will.  Was just looking for feedback on the gummies as I know person who does take them daily and she is 5 months out from the RNY.  I did find it a bit odd that she took gummies, but her doctor OK's them.  I don't think she takes all of the required vitamins via gummie form just a couple. 

This stupid band has made swallowing a bit of an issue at times, so if I can get a few of the required vitamins in a chewable form or liquid form of some sort I won't be so worried about getting them in daily.  I don't know how my swallowing will be once the band is out.  Maybe everything will be fine, but I have had the band for over 10 years so I have no clue if there are hidden issues.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

poet_kelly
on 5/12/14 12:20 am - OH

Oh, you can get most of the in a chewable or liquid form.  Just not gummy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RRach
on 5/12/14 12:17 am

Congrats on your approval!!!! :)

My doctor and nutritionist told us to not take gummy vitamins. So, I can't help with that. :( 

I have always been told whey but I could be wrong. I am looking into using Unjury since the product is made for bariatric patients and I have heard so many positive things about it. :)

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

SuzinDallas
on 5/12/14 12:17 am

I just had my band removed and revised to bypass.  It's been great so far!

I was told, like the others that gummy vitamins are not a good option after RNY so I use chewables.  I've been using the Bariatric Advantage Multiformula, as well as their calcium and iron (I'm anaemic and they thought it best for me to add additional iron) and they seem to be sitting ok with me so far. 

My tastes in protein is generally fairly light. I've been really enjoying the Nectar brand. Pink Grapefuit, Crystal Sky (fruit punch), and Green Apple have been my favorites lately. There's a pharmacy in my area that stocks them in single serving packs so it's been nice to have a large variety without a bunch if giant canisters.

Lately I'm drinking a lot of Zero Carb Isopure since I'm not very far out from surgery at all.  It's just ok, not great but works it's purpose as they are very fast and easy since they are ready to drink and a clear liquid.  

I would recommend finding a vanilla protein you like.  The nice thing about vanilla is that it can be any flavor with a little help-even chocolate so it's a good one to have on hand.  I've been using the Isopure Natural Vanilla and have been adding a bit of sugar free caramel syrups in it.  Later on I'll be able to add things like fruit or peanut butter but right now I'm taking things slowly.

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

selhard
on 5/12/14 12:51 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Every time I read about revisions, I think how brave!  I know gummies are not for WLS'ers.  Here's another reason to add--- For constipation issues, I recently tried a fiber gummie...it pulled a crown off my back tooth...expensive lesson.  I use the brand UNJURY whey protein isolate (keyword isolate) because IMO it has good taste, mixability, and quality.  Endnote:  with time and practice, pill-taking can get easier...years of taking them for co-morbidity reasons has me ridiculously able to swallow an entire handful of supplements, including the B Complex pill, in one gulp.

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/14 1:05 am
RNY on 12/16/13

Congratulations!

My program says no to gummy and children's vitamins.  I currently take Celebrate vitamins, and have also take Bariatric Support.  I have found the Celebrate multivitamins are more complete.  My NUT also suggested Centrum Chewable vitamins.  I like the caramel chews from Bariatric Advantage for Calcium Citrate.  I also take iron and B12. 

Louise1974
on 5/12/14 1:10 am

The cheapest and easiest non-pill calcium option I have found is Upcal D.  It is a powder, comes in a big tub and lasts forever (even for me and i take is 3x day).  You can get it on amazon. 

I used the unjury whey protein powder and have also gotten the cheap stuff from Walmart.  But without a doubt, the best I have ever had is the Syntrax Nectar.  i have only tried the Vanilla Bean torte (omg, seriously good).  You can get it here and order a bunch of samples to try them out: http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=Syntrax&template=Templates/Syntrax.html

I wish I had known about them pre-op and immediately post op when I was living on protein shakes.  they are more expensive but let's face it, I used to lay down serious cash dining out (and in, and in the car and...)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 195 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?