charlie horse cramps

LeslieMJ77
on 5/11/14 4:13 pm

I am almost to my one month pist surgery date and every night im having bad charlie horse cramps in my calves. I have one doc saying I need to increase my electrolytes and another that says I need more potassium and one that says I need more magnesium.  

HELP! Does anyone have any tios to make this better? Before surgery I would just eat a banana and increase my milk intake and it would be better. Ive been eating a 1/4 of a mashed banana with my breakfast but its not helping. I dont know what to do! Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

LeslieMJ77
on 5/11/14 4:15 pm

Lol I meant post surgery. 

And not tios ... tips! 

Sorry for the typos! Thanks in advance! 

JJ0609
on 5/11/14 6:42 pm

I eat pickles, drink pickle juice, drink powerade zero drinks, eat bananas, and take potassium and magnesium supplements to help ward off muscle cramps and Charlie horses.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

KarenRaeV
on 5/11/14 8:18 pm
RNY on 06/03/13

I also do the pickle juice and pickle, bananas and take the supplements.....they are horrible...be sure to stay well hydrated as well.  

Blackbird1987
on 5/11/14 10:58 pm

This happened to me in the beginning as well and I was really dehydrated. Whatever you are drinking now… is probably not enough. Your body is telling you that it needs more so I would just keep drinking all day long. I now get in about 75oz of water a day on average but closer to 100 is where I should be. Since I upped my water intake, I have felt 100 times better and have not had any restless legs, cramping or charlie horses. It is WONDERFUL. Good luck!

Kimberly K.
on 5/11/14 11:30 pm
RNY on 03/21/14

Hi Leslie. Potassium and Magnesium are electrolytes as is sodium.  You may be dehydrated and you also may be in need of electrolyte replacement. I would ask your NUT for assistance. Perhaps you need to have your labs checked early to determine just exactly where you stand with potassium and magnesium. Potassium is tricky because overdoing it is just as bad as being potassium depleted so  I would check with your NUT for the best way to approach this. Hope you feel better soon!

Kim K.    

queenbmamafranks
on 5/12/14 6:13 am
RNY on 12/19/13

Is this happening while you sleep? My first guess would be it sounds like your dehydrated. Also, if this is happening while you're asleep are you running a fan? When I sleep and the covers or sheet slip off and I sleep with a fan I get cramps in my legs. I simply cover my legs and no more cramps. Sounds weird but it works for me.

MickeyDee
on 5/12/14 8:40 am

At the time of the cramps I would eat a small banana and take a calcium and magnesium pill and 20 minutes later it had cleared up.  Haven't had any problems with them in ages.

Gwen M.
on 5/12/14 11:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I used to get horrible cramps in my legs at night, and then I learned how to stretch.  Stretching has changed my life - as long as I don't forget, my legs are fine through the night now!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

nw75
on 5/12/14 11:31 am

I know this will sound crazy, but the "old wives tale" of putting a bar of soap by your feet/legs in the bed WORKS.  I have had night time leg cramps most of my life and when I put the soap in the bed, they go away.  Google it ;)  It needs to be a true soap and not the bars that are mostly lotion.  Irish Spring works wonders!  Crazy, I know, but try it!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 388 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 206 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?