Calorie average intake??

MrsD68
on 5/12/14 2:09 am

I am tracking all my food on MyfitnessPal.. even though it always tells me I am WAY under my calorie intake.. I know it is OK, because of the WLS>. However.. I am running between 8-900 a day... I am 6ft1, and work out almost daily.. I just want to know if I am eating TOO many calories? I have my first Nutritionist Postop phone appt next Monday, and will be sure to ask her.. I just did NOT have the energy to function with less calories. I make it up with string cheese, or skim milk, protein for sure.. but just wondering if anyone else is around that mark? Or do I need to cut it back, and just try to deal with the energy levels? I never do really well on High protein, because my body just dont feel like I have the energy to DO anything... I head back to work, so the "busy-ness" of my days will be on an all time HIGH, so the extra will definately be burnt up... I just am reading some people are eating 700 calories a day, and to ME.. I would never be able to DO anything.. I am losing weight.. I am down almost 20 # and surgery was April 15th. Probably would lose faster/more if I cut back on the calories? I am just starting to eat regular food, so this is a learning curve for me..

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/12/14 3:02 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I think everyone is different.  You are welcome to look at my fitness pal diaries… I am noelscat.  Just friend me and its open to you.

I am 4.5 months out and eat an average of 600 to 700 calories.  For the first two months, I averaged 400 to 600 calories.  I don't have low energy levels -- but I am also quite a bit shorter at 5'6".  I do work on my feet as a college teacher -- and I log an average of 8000 to 10000 steps per day.  I aim for and get 80 to 90 grams of protein a day and less than 30 carbs.  

Just follow your surgeon's plan and do what works for you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Dodgergirl27
on 5/12/14 3:42 am
RNY on 01/22/14

Hi MrsD68.

You should check out Emily's daily post "What's on the Menu RNY'rs", it's great b/c most ppl list their time since surgery, their daily menu and their daily calorie, carb and protein totals.  It really helps to get a sense of where people are at from newbies to vets.  I've found it immensly helpful.  That being said I'm 3.5 months out, 5'10 and eat around 600 - 700 cals a day.  I do focus on protein foods and always have a shake for at least one meal to help get to those numbers.  For what it's worth, I find I really lack energy when my protein numbers are low and when I forget to take my iron.  I take a separate iron supplement on top of my multi-vitamin.  Prior to that switch, I was DRAGGING during the day and fast asleep before 9pm each night.  I had no energy.  The iron has made all the difference in the world, so maybe consider that?  Good luck,

MrsD68
on 5/12/14 6:17 am

Thanks.. that is a good option... I just broke the bank going to the grocery store.... GEEZ I tell yah, good for you is SPENDY! But I am worth it.. so I am really shooting for lower calorie options.. I am trying to get DOWN pounds.... I am going to PAY MORE ATTENTION to what I am eating, and track the calories as well.. I think I just had not really "been grocery shopping" for awhile.. my poor hubby.. because I was only on fluids and soft food for SO long.. so now I am heading back to work.. I had to find options for me to take with that will "fit in" my pouch lol.. But in any case.. I will check you out on my fitness pal.. 

tdbull
on 5/12/14 2:50 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Feel free to check out my monthly bogs to see how much I lost on average and how many calories I was taking in. My NUT would like me to get in 1100-1200 calories but now that I am in maintenance it seems that I can't really eat more than 1050 calories without gaining, so at 9 months out I aim for 1000 a day.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

chulbert
on 5/12/14 11:10 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

At just one month post-op you probably shouldn't be focused too much on calories.  Just make sure you're getting your protein and eating measured portions of approved foods.

Though to answer your question, 800-900 calories per day sounds a smidge above average for a month out from surgery but that does not make it wrong or something to worry about.  If you can't function on less then the point is moot, right?  You'll do fine.

MrsD68
on 5/13/14 1:36 am

I reviewed my diet, made some tweeks, and will see if I can get those numbers a little lower. I am eating the right amounts, just making some minor switches, will see if that helps. Thanks.

vsg_joanna
on 5/12/14 11:35 pm

My surgery was on 4/8 and I'm averaging 800-900 calories a day. I'm 5'6" and started at 238.8, but I walk at least 60 minutes a day, plus c25k three times a week.... I've lost about 21 lbs in a month, so I'm assuming my calories and rate of loss are fine especially for someone starting at a lower weight. However, I do worry about calories often- it's a bit tougher for me to keep my calories low since I don't follow a low fat diet and I refuse to do so since research points to this being pointless. I get the feeling tha****er intake and watching carb count are vastly more important in terms of weight loss.

I have tried to cut back this week to average between 700-800 instead and we'll see what happens. It seems like finding the right calorie level is a bit trial/ error and vastly varies person to person. Before surgery when I was doing weigh****chers, I could lose about 1.5 lbs on an 1800 calorie diet.

Do you guys include all your supplements in your daily calorie count?

MrsD68
on 5/13/14 1:30 am

Well THANK you, at least I don't feel like I am just doing it all wrong.. I have made some tweeks, I switched to the egg beaters, instead of regular eggs.. My hubby was the only  one eating bacon or sausage so they were the "regular" kind. I switched that out for turkey brand, which I like anyways. I never was much of a breakfast eater, but the one egg, 2 sausage is a good start for my morning. I stocked up on my favorite 100 cal Greek yogurt, and I still stick with skim milk stringcheese.. and deli meat.. so that should decrease a few un-needed calories.. I am trying to get this into high gear.. lol so maybe with some minor changes. I will see better results, and not feel like I am changing the specific amount of food I am eating.. since honestly it is not much. I also continue to track daily, and keep up with water at least 60 oz a day, or more. I aim for 64. I havent needed to rely too much on the protien shakes, which I loathe anyways.. so I will see if this all helps. Thanks for the input.. it is valuable!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 287 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics