Low Blood Sugar

Kristina T.
on 5/12/14 3:36 am, edited 5/12/14 3:37 am - Montebello, CA
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi everyone,

So I don't know if anyone else has had this issue but I've noticed that recently there will be times where my blood sugar will get very low. On Saturday I wasn't feeling too well so I checked my sugar and it dropped to 56. Times like that I know I need to eat but in the case that I'm not at home or somewhere where food is easily accessible I was wondering what anyone else has on hand. I know usually when sugar drops people drink juice/soda, hard candy or glucose tablets but I don't want to do that and then end up dumping causing my sugar to drop again. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what are your solutions?

HW: 319 SW: 292 CW: 204.0

MyLady Heidi
on 5/12/14 4:02 am

Protein bars, granola, nuts, cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers, anything that mixes protein with some carbs to get your blood sugar back to normal.   It's typical reactive hypoglycemia that causes the low in the first place for me, so avoiding the original trigger food is the best option.  It still happens from time to time, but with a careful diet you can avoid it for the most part.

poet_kelly
on 5/12/14 4:08 am - OH

I carry protein bars in my car and in my purse for those times.  In a pinch, on one occasion I drank half a soda and on another I ate a little candy, when I didn't have a protein bar and nothing else was available.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Louise1974
on 5/12/14 5:00 am

nuts with raisins are my go to, I get those little 100 calorie packs and stick them in my purse/car...

jazzycatz
on 5/12/14 5:53 am - Joppa, MD

I used to carry protein bars but they started making me feel a little ill so I have switched to nut & raisins like the other poster. Seems to be a good protein/carb combo. And a combo of the two is what I have found works best for me. I need a little sugar to get my blood sugar heading back up and then protein to keep it up there.  But if I could still eat protein bars I would still carry them as well.

In a pinch a package peanut butter crackers work. Kinda carb heavy but it beats falling out somewhere. I just have to accept that once I open the package I am eating the whole thing. I don't have the willpower to eat half a package and put the other half away for next time.

MickeyDee
on 5/12/14 8:33 am

A  good protein bar or a single serving of beef jerky is a good thing to keep on hand.

ebtiger24
on 5/12/14 11:35 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I almost always have a protein bar within reach. 

tdbull
on 5/12/14 2:45 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Quest protein bars. I never leave home without them.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics