What about copd and steroid weight gain when you get a RNY?

mama_dee54
on 5/25/14 1:12 am

I gained 20 pounds in three weeks a year ago from steroids I had to take to be able to breath! My surgeon said he has done lots of people with COPD. I was wondering if anyone on here has COPD and if it makes for slow weight loss ?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/14 5:01 am - OH

Some people get almost as much relief from the bronchodilators without also taking the steroids.  Have you tried that  (I only ask because a friend had a doctor who automatically gave her both and she stopped taking the steroids because she was hungry all the time and gaining weight, and she discovered that she did well enough without the steroids.)

Steroids don't automatically magically cause weight gain.  They increase your appetite and then you gain weight because you eat too much.  Your hunger level after RNY may not be increased by the steroids as much as before surgery.  The best thing you can do is make sure that you are making good food choices and that you have some kind of low calorie foods that you can eat if your hunger IS increased.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/25/14 5:20 am

Steroids not only may increase hunger but they may also cause insulin's resistance making your body to make more insulin. More insulin in your blood + more food = rapid weight gain. 

Insulin's resistance means your blood sugar may get higher but the cells are resistant to it - and dont get the nutrition - calories so you feel like you are hungry... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mama_dee54
on 5/25/14 6:02 am

I take steroids only when I have a bad copd flare. Otherwise inhaler advair diskus. At that time I was too sick to eat so the gain was not from overeating. I went for ct scan to check for stomach cancer and they found my liver was extremely enlarged but no stomach cancer.  Steroids are a God send when you can not breath! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/25/14 6:09 am

My adrenals don't work like they are suppose to so I am on daily steroid supplementation.  It is fine line not enough and too much.  Fun fun fun..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cunning_Pam
on 5/25/14 6:16 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Advair contains a steroid (fluticasone), so you are getting a daily dose of steroids.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

mama_dee54
on 5/25/14 6:30 am

Oh I know, but I was thinking about the steroid packs. Sorry. I am getting nervous about this operation I am damned if I do and damned if I don't ! I want to get this right and get at least a few more years outta it !

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 280 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics